Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: Vodafone

Unable to create New -> Web -> Dynamic Web Project in Eclipse

I am brand new to BlackBerry development but pretty decent with web design/scripting, so I was excited to read about widget creation.  I have DLed eclipse and the 8900 simulator, but am having trouble following the Widget Tutorial.

I am meant to create new dynamic web project, but the option doesn't appear anywhere in the New menu.  When I tried to add the appropriate site to the software updater in Eclipse, it spat out a ream of dependency errors which I don't know how to fix.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Developer
My Device: Bold 9900 7.1
My Carrier: T-Mobile Germany

Re: Unable to create New -> Web -> Dynamic Web Project in Eclipse

I assume, you downloaded the latest...

I did not create a dynamic web project, but a Blackberry Widget Project .

1850i4EA123940A9B414F

If it is not in the "new" menu, goto "file->new->project...", you should be able to choose it there:

1851iAFA20ED0E808F853

If that is not it, you should either reinstall eclipse or deinstall every update site, not connected to eclipse(galileo), or tell us, which error messages, you get.

regards,

Nallo

New Developer

[ Edited ]

Hi Nallo,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Edit: I just realised that there isn't any need to use Eclipse at all - I'll just use ConTEXT to create the documents I need, now that I know the syntax for config.xml.  D'uh!

I did reinstall Eclipse and I followed a tutorial and had everything working, but now, again, I cannot find the 'new->web->dynamic web project' option, nor can I find it in 'new->project'.  Very strange, and now I can't find the tutorial I was following.

A strange thing is that I initially DLed Eclipse having followed a link on the Phonegap site, and it was the Ganymede version.  I reinstalled it and got the Galileo version.  When I open it now, it is back to Ganymede.   I have no idea what the difference is - does it come down to plug-ins, etc? 

I have tried detaching all update sites, closing and restarting Eclipse, but it's still Ganymede and it still doesn't have a 'new->other->web' path.  Sure is a complicated piece of software...

I have one working dynamic web project, so I can just reuse it, I guess.

A secondary problem I'm having is with the widget packager.  The tutorial I followed told me to create a folder 'BlackBerry Widget Packager/web' and to put the .zip archive of resources into it, and to use the command line command 'bbwp.exe web/whatever.zip', but the packager fails to create my widget unless I put the archive in the same directory as bbwp.exe.  This means when it outputs my files, they go to 'BlackBerry Widget Packager/bin/StandardInstall' and 'BlackBerry Widget Packager/bin/OTAInstall', and the executable .jar and .rapc files either end up in a temp folder under users/user or just don't seem to exist at all.  It's a slight nuisance having to round my files up in this way every time I want to test something.  Any thoughts?

Developer

Hi,

I have to admin that I am not that good with eclipse (yet), so I don't know the difference between all those different eclipse's Smiley Wink.

I downloaded the latest version of the Eclipse ID for JavaEE Developers and then installed the widget SDK as update-site.

Using this, I don't need the widget packager as I have the option to "Build as BlackBerry Widget".

So I am sorry, I cannot help you with that.

Looking around in the forum, there are not many using Eclipse, are there?

Regards,

Nallo

P.S: I remember the tutorial, you are talking about and I don't think it is exact...

New Developer

Hi again,

Yeah, eclipse doesn't seem to do much for the widget creator and it is pretty hefty to use as a text editor.  I'm happier with ConTEXT, which I am used to and like.

As you say, though, the only difference is that it packages your widgets for you.  It turns out that I don't even need the .jar and .rapc to run my widgets (again, I have no idea what all the files that the packager churns out do), so I only need to copy files from one of the ~Install folders to the other - not the biggest hassle in the world Smiley Happy

Developer

Hi,

Happy, it works for you. Smiley Happy

Yes, you are right with the plugin as editor, but I additionally installed the Web-Development Plugin for Aptana Studio and use it as editor for HTML, CSS and JavaScript - which works pretty well, when developing widgets. Don't know about ConTEXT, though. It may be the better choice Smiley Wink

good luck,

Nallo