Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
svzi
My Device: Z30, Z10LE, Q5 & PlayBook
My Carrier: German Provider
Accepted Solution

Unable to set package name

Hi everyone!

A few weeks ago I ported my webOS enyo app, ReadOnTouch PRO, to the BlackBerry Playbook via Android APK converter. But I had some troubles with that version and the approvement where denied. So I decided it's better to go with native WebWorks instead of a cheap APK conversion, because I don't plan to publish my app for Android anymore. So I changed my code to make it work with WebWorks and all works very well in the Playbook Simulator. So far, so good. :smileyhappy:

After signing my app and uploading it to the vendor portal, I recieve the following message:

File bundle (rot.bar) has been rejected. Package ID is required for all .bar file. If this is an upgrade, Package ID must match Package ID in original file bundle.

I've already googled and searched this forum, so I already have read (and I thought also understand) this link: http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/03/package-id-rejected-by-app-world/

I'm still using the same keys as with the former android version, but when I have a look at the two generated MANIFEST.MF files, they differ in the package-name (and package-id). Is there any way to change my current package name to the old one? The old package-name is com.svenziegler.readontouch.android, but when I try to name my zip file (I'm working with the WebWorks SDK on command line, mac os) to that name then bbwp fails to sign the app because of an invalid app name. Also I read that the name of the .zip file should not exceed 10 characters... So, I really don't have a clue what can or should I do?!

Another question: Should the version number in my new config.xml (did not have that with the android version) be the same like the old version from the Android manifest?

Can anyone please help me? That would be great!

Cheers,

Sven

---
Developer ReadItNow!, PhotoUpload, WhereIs...?, Magic4Square and OrganizeMe!

http://sven-ziegler.com
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
oros
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Unable to set package name

Hello Sven,

Within your WebWorks config.xml file should be a <name> element. If you plug in your old application name there and repackage the application (and sign with the same keys) then this may be enough to generate the same Package ID. However, doing this will make the name of your application (as it appears on devices) fairly long.

My recommendation, if you don't have any attachment to the App World submission you already made (i.e. it hasn't been put up for sale yet) then it would probably be simplest to just create a completely new submission for your WebWorks build. If you want to re-use the same name, you can modify the existing product name to something else.

The version number shouldn't influence the overall Package ID. It should only be based on the Application Name and the code signing keys used to sign the application.

Let me know how it goes.

Erik Oros

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
svzi
My Device: Z30, Z10LE, Q5 & PlayBook
My Carrier: German Provider

Thanks for your support.

I already submitted it as a new app and I wrote an email to the playbook-offer address. I hope everything will be fine right now.

Cheers,

Sven

---
Developer ReadItNow!, PhotoUpload, WhereIs...?, Magic4Square and OrganizeMe!

http://sven-ziegler.com
Please use plain text.
oros
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Good stuff. If you do run into any issues, you can reach out to the App World team directly here:

https://www.blackberry.com/profile/?eventId=8109

With respect to eligibility, they'd be the best ones to help out if need be. Let us know if you run into any dev. issues down the line!

Erik Oros

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
Please use plain text.