Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: Rogers Curve 8900
My Carrier: Rogers

Unable to set password in latest playbook simulator

[ Edited ]

I have downloaded the latest Playbook simulator (2.0.0.7971) from https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/html5/download, and I am unable to set the password on the simulator. The password screen is empty. This means I can't run the web inspector. Is there some other way to do this?

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Unable to set password in latest playbook simulator

Hello, you have come across a bug that was raised to my attention this morning and its been escalated to the browserDev team for investigation & repair.  There is no ETA on when this will be resolved.

The 2.0 Tablet OS simulator has development mode permanently enabled, and you can use any password you want to deploy an app to it.  However a bug exists in the browser where it doesn't recognize the permanent password.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Note: you may continue to use Web Inspector to test WebWorks applications on the Tablet OS 2.0 simulator.  This issue only affects the browser.

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Trusted Contributor
My Device: PlayBook & Nexus 4

How do you enable the  Web Inspector in the simulator if the password cannot be set and the PlayBook browser will not allow you to enable Web Inspector without a password?

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

You cannot for the browser.

You still can for WebWorks applications.  

See "Enable Web Inspector for a BlackBerry WebWorks application":

https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/html5/documentation/ww_testing/enabling_webinsp_microsite_198747...

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
New Developer
My Device: Z30, Z10LE, Q5 & PlayBook
My Carrier: German Provider

Hi astanley!

I've followed the instructions from your link, but when I compile my app with the "-d" flag and start it in the simulator there is no dialog appearing that provides me the ip address and the port I have to connect to. Maybe that window appeared a few weeks ago, and I dismissed it, but I can't remember.

I have just deployed a completely new app to my simulator, for the first time. I've compiled the webworks app with "-d" and deployed it, but as with my other app, nothing appears after starting the app. 

I really need this debugging feature, because my new app hangs during start and I must have a look at the logs...

Cheers,

Sven

---
Developer ReadItNow!, PhotoUpload, WhereIs...?, Magic4Square and OrganizeMe!

http://sven-ziegler.com
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Any update about it?

We are in September, and I still cannot debug my app.

Highlighted
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: All
My Carrier: N/A

Hi Sven,

When you launch the PlayBook simulator, it should be in Development Mode already.  If you click on the icon (to the right of the clock, that looks like a person) it will show you the IP Address of the simulator.  The default port is 1337.

For example, mine is 192.168.174.129. To access Web Inspector you would type in http://192.168.174.129:1337 into your web browser.

If your simulator isn't automatically setup for Development mode:

- Click on the gear icon (far right) on your home screen

- Click Security

- Click Development Mode

- Click on the button to "Use Development Mode"

Chad