Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
dslack
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Understanding config.xml in webworks 2.0

So, as I see now, in a newly created project, the config.xml file is located in the www/ directory.  When using the webworks GUI, whenever we save some changes to the configuration, the config.xml file is overwritten.  So, I'd assume best practice here is to make sure to set it up once, and then just do it manually from then on out.... Since things like the proper whitelist, icons, permissions are not able to be set in that screen (yet).

The thing is, if I do want to add a new platform to the project, then all the BB10 stuff would get included with the other platform.  Conversely, all the other platforms configurations would also get included into BB10.  Is this going to be a problem?  Am I understanding the concepts here properly?  

I figure a lot of this has to do with Cordova under the covers, but I figured I'd ask here before I go to the phonegap community.

Thanks

Dan Slack

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
kwallis
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Understanding config.xml in webworks 2.0

Hi Dan. Essentially you are correct in how this operates. To provide platform specific items, you need to work with the top-level merges folder.  Please refer to the Cordova documentation and look near the botom for the "Using merges to Customize Each Platform" section :

http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/3.2.0/guide_cli_index.md.html#The%20Command-Line%20Interface

Right now, this is really more of a clobbers functionality rather than a merges, but if you need to do cross-platform development and wish to put in BB specific stuff, put all the generic info into the main config.xml, then copy that into platform merges files and adjust there as necessary.

Hope this helps.

Ken Wallis - Senior Product Manager, WebWorks and Android Runtime
@ken_wallis
Please use plain text.