Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Unexpected application termination

Hi, we have an application out in the field that terminates unexpectedly.  It is usually at the same point but not always.  It is very random when it happens and no matter how hard we try cannot re-produce in house.  It seems to be mainly on 9360 7.1 devices.

Can anyone offer any help on what causes a webworks app to terminate unexpectedly?  No errors or exceptions (code is in a try / catch) are experienced.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: All
My Carrier: N/A

Re: Unexpected application termination

Hello,

Without having much information about the app, the only thing that comes to mind is perhaps something is happening that's causing a memory leak.  Generally, the app will shutdown at the same point though, when the event that causes the memory issues runs.

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Unexpected application termination

Thanks for the response Chad.  Now begs the question 'what causes a memory leak? !!!

The problem does generally happen in the same place, where there is a little JavaScript work going on (nothing too heavy).  However, unable to reproduce back at the ranch (typical hey).  There are about 100 users using the app daily and it happens once or twice a week to them.  Frustrating part is, it's when it's sending information to their back office, so they can potentially lose entered information.

The routine is basically is looping through the DOM to pick out entered information, saving it to local storage and then fireing it back via XHR.  It never seems to hit the XHR when it fails, so either it's bombing out when accesing the DOM or when writing to local storage.