Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
My Device: Dev Alpha B + Playbook
My Carrier: Vodafone

Updating an Android based app with an WebWorks app - how can I manage that without loosing my clients?

Hi,

I have an app in the Blackberry World marketplace, which originally was written for Android and several clients who bought it.

Now I have redesigned that app and completly new developed using Webworks.

It's all fine working on BB10 and Playbook - unfortunatelly signed with new keys and CSJ-Files - and of course I am not able getting this app as an update into the Blackberry World because of the new keys.

So I restored my old files (author.p12, barsigner.db and barsigner.csk) from a backup - which formerly there used to sign that ex-android-app for the playbook - and tried to sign the new app with these keys. But this doesn't work either.

Using Ripple to build the app for BB10 I am getting the error "Build ID set in config.xml [version], but no signing password was provided [-g]. Bar will be unsigned". I didn't find any tag for providing a signing password in the config.xml - did I miss something? Or is this a "wrong error message"?

Using command line tools to sign the App for BB10, I am getting the error "Certificate chain not found for RDK".  :-(

Also the attemot, to sign the Playbook version of the app didn't work  :-((

I read many dozens of posts here without finding a solution. So I don't know what to do! I can't believe, that there is no chance, to update my former Android app with a WebWorks app! If there is no chance for an update, my customer have to buy a new version and that will result in angry customers and can't be the intention of the guys at Blackberry! I respect the idea of signing an app, but for this sort of - let's call it "cross-source-code-updates" there should be a way ...

Perhaps someone has a solution for this - as I believe not so unusual - update problem?

Greetings from Hannover in Germany

Developer
My Device: Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: -

Re: Updating an Android based app with an WebWorks app - how can I manage that without loosing my clients?

You may have tried this already, or it's not even what you are asking about, but did you put your key password in ripple's settings for that app? It's next to the build number, if I recall correctly.

If you try to sign with ripple, it will tell you (or at least should) that a password is needed. I can't speak of the command line tools, as that sounds like it should have worked. Perhaps signing the same app with different keys breaks something... I never tried that before.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: All
My Carrier: N/A

Re: Updating an Android based app with an WebWorks app - how can I manage that without loosing my clients?

As a last resort, you can grab a new set of keys, then contact Vendor Support through the vendor portal, and they can reset it, so that you can update with a new set of keys.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Dev Alpha B + Playbook
My Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks for your answers.

I could solve one part of my problem, because I had to learn, that I tried to sign my app with the wrong author.p12 and barsigner-files. I found the correct ones on a very last backup from last year and exactly those are necessary to sign my BB10 app. I also was able with the help of these files, to add the update with HTML and Javascript as a new release to the former Android-ported-app and it's already under review ... so at this part signing the BB10 version of my app I am very happy now!

Perhaps as a help for others running in similar problems, the author.p12 and barsigner-files weren't in the correct folders under \users\xxxx\appdata\local\research in motion. I found them in a nearly forgotten backup in the folder \users\xxxx\appdata\roaming\research in motion. I don't know, what went wrong on my machine, but perhaps it is a help for others. I got my files in the beginning of october 2012.

But there is still a problem:

While packaging and signing the app for the Playbook with the restored files I am getting the following error:
"Invalid config.xml - the value of the id attribute is not valid"

The id was set while porting of the Android app and it contains dots, i.E. something like "de.company.appname". As I read in several posts, I can`t change that, without getting errors when uploading a new release to the Blackberry World. I read, that the ID has to be the same as in the original app. But for the packing of a Playbook app this results in the error I described above. For the BB10 packing and signing this wasn't a problem!

I loaded up the bar-file I created for BB10 and I am hoping it will work on Playbooks also - but I can't test it on my Playbook!

Am I right doing so, or do you have suggestions for me to solve this problem in a better way?

Thanks for your ideas ....