Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Trusted Contributor
sh2sg
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Use free apps signing key for paid apps?

Hi,

Maybe a silly question, my apps are all free, if I want to change them to paid apps, all I need to do is to update License type from free to paid in product info page right?  Or I have to apply new signing key, sign and submit as paid version?

Thanks.

New Developer
konstantinos41
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 2.0

Re: Use free apps signing key for paid apps?

As far as I know you can't change a free app to paid, RIM doesn't allow it. Instead you have to submit a new app to use the paid option. To submit an app as paid version you don't have to apply for new keys.
I hope that I helped!
Trusted Contributor
sh2sg
My Device: Not Specified

But this way I will loose all of good ratings/reviews right? My purpose is to keep all of user feedbacks so new buyers will know whether or not it is worth paying for that.

Can RIM staff confirm?

Thanks.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
oros
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Hi there,

This is correct that you can not change the license type once an application has been "posted for sale." You can make a request directly to the App World team to go from free to paid, but you can never go the other way. The biggest reason for this was that users who previously downloaded a free application could not update their application following a new release.

From the App World team:

“We can switch your application from free to paid.  However, users that have downloaded your application as "free" will not be able to download any new release you submit for the application unless the next release is a "paid upgrade"  Once I change the application from free to paid you will need to submit a paid release.  We will NOT change the application back to free after this.  Please let me know if you want to proceed.”

You can get in touch with them through this form if you want to explore this option:

https://www.blackberry.com/profile/?eventId=8109

Submitting a paid upgrade is the responsibility of the vendor. The recommendations we tend to make are:

• Payment SDK integration into the free application (still incoming for BB10); or
  • A new, paid product. True that you start over on review and ratings, but generally 5-star free applications don't always translate to 5-star paid applications as end-users judge differently when it is paid.

The bonus of a separate product is being able to run promotions on the free version while maintaining the paid version too.

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
New Developer
konstantinos41
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 2.0

Thanks Oros for all the useful information