Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Trusted Contributor
icecappacino
My Device: Not Specified

Using Zepto.js, Backbone.js, Underscore.js

Has anyone ever used the mentioned JS framework with webworks? particularly with O.S. 5 and 6? My experience with JS on O.S. 5 has not been the best. 

Can anyone share there experience?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Ryanthegiantlion
My Device: developer
My Carrier: n/a

Re: Using Zepto.js, Backbone.js, Underscore.js

All three libraries seem fine for OS 6.0 upwards.

I have had problems with backbone on OS5.0 which I am trying to solve now. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
The_Anomaly
My Device: Dev Alpha / Playbook / Curve 9300

I hoped to use zepto in place of jQuery mobile but found it lacking much functionality.  I went with bbui.js which gave me more consistency across devices AND is super easy to code with.

jQuery Mobile would be my next favourite.

I'd like to see what others say about the other frameworks though.

If it helped you, click like. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Ryanthegiantlion
My Device: developer
My Carrier: n/a

Correct me if I am wrong, but from my understanding Jquery mobile is a UI library - iow it is not Jquery for mobile but rather JqueriUI for mobile. Zepto is actually an API compatibale replacement for Jquery itself.

In any case the 'word on the street' is that Jquery Mobile is quite slow. Not ont to believe in techie 'gossip' some of our devs did some initial tests and indeed it was slow. I am not sure of the details without asking but the performance was sufficiently bad that we decided not to use it. Anyways, that has been our experience to date . . .

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
chadtatro
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell

I've personally used Zepto, and Undescore in projects.

Zepto is a great jQuery "lite" type of library, good if you don't need to do anything too in-depth with jQuery.  If you do get to the point where Zepto can't handle what you're trying to do, you can pretty much just swap it for jQuery.

Underscore I don't have a ton of experience with, but what I mostly used it for was the HTML template features.

Chad Tetreault | App Development Consultant | BlackBerry Developer Relations | developer.blackberry.com | @chadtatro
Please use plain text.
Developer
The_Anomaly
My Device: Dev Alpha / Playbook / Curve 9300

Yeah, you are right Ryan, I think I shouldn't have used the word functionality.  What I meant to say is basically what you said.  jQuery Mobile will give you a UI / look and feel that will take little effort to code.  Using Zepto you will still need to build your own UI on top of that.  So it really depends on the project at hand I guess.

I also found jQuery a little slow.

If it helped you, click like. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.