Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Using maps? Read this! Lightweight Maps for Mobile, Part 1: Introduction to Map APIs and Libraries

I really hope everyone has seen this blog post, but if you haven't yet, its worth a read and/or bookmark.

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/05/lightweight-maps-for-mobile-part-1/

Anyone considering using Maps in their WebWorks application development should read this for a clear understanding of what options are (currently) out there, and why some may be better than others for your needs.  

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Developer
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

Re: Using maps? Read this! Lightweight Maps for Mobile, Part 1: Introduction to Map APIs and Libraries

Interesting!

Has leaflet been tested on the PlayBook and found to be a 100% compatible with WebWorks? Google Maps cannot be used because it breaks the event system.

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810, PlayBook

Re: Using maps? Read this! Lightweight Maps for Mobile, Part 1: Introduction to Map APIs and Libraries

Olivier,

We haven't fully tested it with WebWorks yet so I can't say it's 100% compatible, but I have built several apps for the PlayBook using Leaflet, and it performs really well. It also runs well on smartphones.

What events were you running into with Google Maps?

Thanks.

Jim

Developer
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

[ Edited ]

Good to know about performance, Jim Smiley Happy

IIRC, all calls to blackberry.app.event.* fail as soon as you load the Google Maps API, but in my tests, here are the ones which stopped working: onSwipeDown, onForeground and onBackground.

Here is the issue in the bug tracker. I haven't made any tests recently, but that bug is still open.

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.
Developer
My Device: (BlackBerry Z10)-> Q10/Passport Dual Use

Thank you for providing this resource. The speed and rendering improvements are incredible!

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Dev Alpha / Playbook / Curve 9300

Has anyone got this to work with bbui.js?

I followed many tutorials and that post but cannot get it to work.  Keep getting the error: 

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property '_leaflet' of null

Not really a javascript guru, still learning.

If it helped you, click like. Smiley Happy