Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Viewing ASP.Net site with Windows Authentication

I have an ASP.Net site using Windows Authentication. I cannot access it from my blackberry. When I navigate to it I get an Not Authorized message. I never am asked for a logon. Isn't this supported thru the blackberry browser? I have every option selected and can get to the site if I cahnge it to anonymouse access, but it requires Windows Authentication. Thanks
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Viewing ASP.Net site with Windows Authentication

windows Authentication works with a Windows operating system.
it you want users from another operating system to be able to connect, you have to use another authentication method (Basic or Digest for example)

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Developer

"windows Authentication works with a Windows operating system"

That isn't quite correct. "Windows Integrated Authentication" will attempt to use credentials provided by Internet Explorer, if they are unavailable, it will prompt the user to log in with an Active Directory username/password combination. This works on other OS's and browsers just fine.

I am trying to solve the same problem. The limitation seems to be the Blackberry browser, not the authentication type.

Developer

If by windows authentication you're referring to NTLM, then it can only work on the BlackBerry if you're going through a BES. You can configure the MDS to enable NTLM authentication.
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

The entire name of that IWA authentication method is "Integrated Windows Authentication". It is based or Kerberos technologies. The old name prior to Microsoft Windows 2000 is NTLM SSP.

The IWA protocol is available for Microsoft products like Internet Explorer 5.0 and up, and for third party applications like Mozilla Firefox starting some 1.x version, and Opera starting I don't know which version. Excluding nearly all other applications like BOLT or the BlackBerry browser.

Besides, IWA does not work through a proxy. Usually IWA can be used to authenticate face to the proxy before using it (typilcally a web proxy that allows you to get from the local network to the ouside world beyond the firewall). Since Opera Mini, BOLT and the BlackBerry Browser all go through a proxy (their own, ot the carrier's http(s) proxy, IWA will never work on a mobile phone (including Internet Explorer on Windows Mobile).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Developer

I already tried Digest it just keeps asking again and again for logon until it fails when using my Bold.

When set to Basic everything works fine, but I thought the Blackberry could handle Digest Authentication? Are there special settings to get it to work? Thanks,

New Developer

xandrex, you're almost correct!

The proprietary proxies used by Opera Mini and Blackberry browsers do indeed prevent IWA from working. However, your statement that it will never work on a wireless phone is either incorrect or outdated!

I use IWA for an employee extranet, and users are able to access it using Windows Mobile 6 phones running either the integrated IE browser or Opera 10, over the Sprint 3G network.

There are good technical reasons why BB and Opera Mini use these proxies, but they are a compromise (small & fast vs big & full-featured).