Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Bold 9900, 9810, 9780, 9650 and so many others
My Carrier: T-Mobile
Accepted Solution

Viewing PDF through simulator

Hi,

I have created a browser based application. One of the links on the app is a PDF file and a GIF. When I click on the GIF the image is displayed. When I click on the PDF I get the following error:

Socket Channel not able to connect; address 127.0.0.1:1900

When I run this in IE, it works great (PDF and GIF displayed beautifully). Whats more interesting is that when I run it with my REAL BlackBerry device (connected to BES) then it works great. Any idea how I can get this working on the simulator?

Before you ask, I have tried this on many different device and MDS simulators and they all give the same result.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Viewing PDF through simulator

This is not supported by the MDS Simulator.  To test this in the BlackBerry Simulator you can connect it to a real BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

How To - Connect the BlackBerry Device Simulator to a BlackBerry Enterprise Server
Article Number: DB-00049

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800738/800792/801083/...

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer

Thanks Mark. I tried following the instructions but it didnt work. The activation did not start straight away. So I manually went and created a user on the BES, set their activation password. Then repeated the steps in the link but no activation starts so I went to options, enterprise activation and then entered all the information (email, pwd) but now it says

Acquiring Service connection.....

And then it popus up with : Activation Request failed. A service connection is unavailable.

The Desktop Manager is showing as 'connected'. Any ideas? 

The BlackBerry Simulator can not be activated via email.  It must connect through Device Manager to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.  Please ensure that this is running.  It will show up in your system tray (different application than Desktop Manager).
Mark Sohm

Developer

Thanks Mark. I wasnt making the distinction between device manager and desktop manager. I now have them both running (in the order that the article metioned). The device manager is showing that connection exists. But now what? The simulator is showing the BB desktop. How do I know if its activating?

Open Device Manager and have a look at the Statistics tab.  Are you able to expand the BlackBerry PIN listed there and see device and server stats?  If so, it is able to connect to your BlackBerry Enterprise Server and Enterprise Activation should start.

If not, please provide the BlackBerry handheld software for the BlackBerry Simulator (found under Options, About), the version of Desktop Manager and BlackBerry Enterprise Server (and the type of mail server it is connected to).

The Desktop Manager should be equal to or higher than the BlackBerry handheld software version.

Mark Sohm

Developer

Yes under Device manager I can open up the PIN and it even shows the server. Here's the weird bit. Under the BES name it shows that the state is Connecting and not Connected. Its got the name of the BES and then it says port 4101. Is that a port that should be opened up on the BES or on the machine that is running the simulator?

The Blackberry simulator is 4.2.2.161 (8320) , Desktop Manager is 4.5.015 and the BES is a 4.1.4.12 communicated with Exchange 2003.

You shouldn't have to open up any ports for this.  Please close down all of the BlackBerry applications, run clean.bat (located in the simulator directory) and run through the process again.
Mark Sohm

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

I am also facing the same problem.

When I try to download word attachment from simulator, it shows "Unsupported media type:application/msword"

I followed all the steps give in the below link

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800738/800792/801083/...

But i am facing below issues.

If only the Time Connected statistic appears, without the Bypass statistics, the BlackBerry Device Simulator is not connected to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server over serial bypass and the enterprise activation process cannot occur. Delete the DMP files from the BlackBerry Device Simulator directory and complete the above steps in order to remove the net_rim_sdk_simulationSB.cod file from the BlackBerry Simulator directory. Alternatively, you can attempt this procedure with a BlackBerry device to verify that your BlackBerry Enterprise Server configuration supports serial bypass.

I tried deleting all the files mentioned above.But still i don't see Bypass in statistics section.

Any help in this regard highly appreciated.

Thanks

Does serial bypass work with a real BlackBerry handheld?  This will rule out a simulator versus Desktop Manager/BlackBerry Enterprise Server issue.
Mark Sohm