Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
Ekey
My Device: Simulator

Visual Studio 2008 crashes

I'm using Windows XP pro on a Dell precision dual core CPU, 2.33 ghz and 2 gb of RAM,

Visual Studio 2008 crashes whenever I load a widget solution (the Blackberry Web Plugin 2.0 is installed). This occurs with both a from scratch solution and one I created where I added in the UI Examples files. It also occurs whether or not I'm running in a simulator. Sometimes I can continue to work within the IDE, but sometimes I have to go to the extreme of rebooting.

It's rare to have an IDE crash when working on other solutions, including some very large .Net solutions that tax the memory heavily. So from here, this appears solely widget/plugin related.

Any thoughts or advice on this one?

Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Visual Studio 2008 crashes

Hi Ekey,

There is a really wierd error that can cause a crash that I know of.. that is if you are dragging files over top of an open "browser window" like our widget start page when you have a widget project open.

Any chance this is what is going on?

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
New Developer
Ekey

No, I think I've found the source of this very weird issue. In my actions.js file, I have:

var xmlHttp = new XMLHttpRequest(); 

My IDE error list now shows this warning:

Warning 1 Error updating JScript IntelliSense: C:\AgvanceBlackBerryWidget\AgvanceBlackBerryWidget\actions.js: 'XMLHttpRequest' is undefined @ 1:0 C:\AgvanceBlackBerryWidget\AgvanceBlackBerryWidget\setup.htm 1 AgvanceBlackBerryWidget 1

The weird part is, the XMLHttpRequest functions without exception.

WindowsXP Pro, VS2008.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
dburgess
My Device: Bold 9700

Hi Ekey...

I have been doing some initial research into your issue.  I was hoping that you might be willing to send us your widget (or a sample widget in which you get the issue) to take a look at here.  If you can please email your widget to the following email address directing to David Burgess..  That way it will be routed to me.     devsupport@rim.com 

Thanks again..

David

===========================================================================
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

David Burgess
Team Lead, IDE Extensions Team
Research In Motion

New Developer
Ekey

Thanks for replying David. This might help your research, as I believe I have found the resolution. If there is anything wrong about this solution, I'd like to hear it, but this has stopped the IDE from generating unhandled exceptions. Instead of: var xmlHttp = new XMLHttpRequest(); // without this try-catch, the IDE will keep trying to fire the debugger try { var xmlHttp = new XMLHttpRequest(); } catch (e) { { // apparently the IDE assumes IE6 or older try { xmlHttp = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHttp"); } catch(e) { } } }