Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
NinjaCoder
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Visual Studio Plugin: Waiting for simulator to finish loading... forever.

Win 2K3, Visual Studio 2k8

I created a Web Site (didnt change any of the files - just left default.aspx).

Then I changed Browse with to default to blackberry.

Then I pressed the green debug button.

Start BlackBerry MDS-CS was quick.

Then it opens blackBerry bold emulator and  after a while I clicked on "Details" on the "start debugging" dialog. This is what it had:

[Start BlackBerry MDS-CS] Starting BlackBerry MDS Connection Services...
[Start BlackBerry MDS-CS] DONE!
[Start Device Simulator] Launching Fledge: Launch file - C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry VS9 Plugin 1.2\handheld\simulator_4_6_0\fledge.exe, Parameters - /app=Jvm.dll /handheld=9000 /app-param=DisableRegistration /app-param=JvmAlxConfigFile:9000.xml /app-param=JvmDebugModeOff /session=9000 /app-param=MdsDebug:smileysurprised:n /app-param=BrowserDebugPort:5557 /app-param=BrowserDebug:smileysurprised:n /app-param=NoTutorial /keep-lcd-on /pin=0x2100001A /app-param=BrowserDebugPort:5557, Skin - BlackBerry 9000, PIN - 0x2100001A
[Start Device Simulator] Waiting for simulator to finish loading...

The device was done loading a while ago and I can even open up the web browser in the device emulator and navigate to bing and even to my http://localhost:xxxx/website1 or whatever.

Any Ideas?

Please use plain text.
Developer
NinjaCoder

Re: Visual Studio Plugin: Waiting for simulator to finish loading... forever.

When I click "cancel" it says "failed to get debug protocol"

Title of dialog:c:\program files\research in motion\blackberry vs9 plugin 1.2\bin\rim.net.tools.scripthost.exe

And then the "Start Debugging" dialog says Failed and is frozen

Doesnt look like it added anything after what I pasted in the first post however the 2nd and 3rd check boxes have red Xs.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Have you tried out the latest RTM version of the plugin?  It was just released last night.  Just uninstall your old 1.2 beta and then install the new version and see if that solves your problem

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
NinjaCoder

Same result with newest (vs_plugin.31.exe) build.

[Start Device Simulator] Launching Fledge: Launch file - C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry VS9 Plugin 1.2\handheld\simulator_4_6_0\fledge.exe, Parameters - /app=Jvm.dll /handheld=9000 /app-param=DisableRegistration /app-param=JvmAlxConfigFile:9000.xml /app-param=JvmDebugModeOff /session=9000 /app-param=MdsDebug:smileysurprised:n /app-param=BrowserDebugPort:5557 /app-param=BrowserDebug:smileysurprised:n /app-param=NoTutorial /keep-lcd-on /pin=0x2100001A /app-param=BrowserDebugPort:5557, Skin - BlackBerry 9000 (v4.6.0.212), PIN - 0x2100001A
[Start Device Simulator] Waiting for simulator to finish loading...

Please use plain text.
Developer
NinjaCoder

This time I tried to trick it. I hit F5 to debug. then when it is starting device simulator i hit cancel and left the black berry open. Then i went to task manager to kill the start debugging dialog since it was frozen. Then hit F5 again since the emulator was already open...

The emulator says "Make sure you have javascript enabled" or whatever - I did that.

But the Start Debugging dialog is now at the "Start Debug Session"  with these details:

Please use plain text.
tneil

I'm wondering if it could be a networking scenario on your machine.  Can you answer the following questions

1) Do you have multiple network cards in your computer?

2) Do you have any local firewall software that could be blocking ports?

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
NinjaCoder

I only have 1 network card.

I tried with my firewall on and off.

I got farther now though.

I figured out that if i hit F5 and then its launching and I click "Cancel" and then go to task manager and instead of killing the UI process that is loading the emulator instead I close the RIM.NET.XXX or whatever process.

Then wait for the emulator to get to the main screen then press F5 again The attaching happens but the emulator cannot hit google or my local host.

An office mate of mine was able to get it to work on his box with the same "Kill process" approach.

He is running Win XP with Visual Studio 2k8 (without service pack 1 even though the requirements say it needs service pack 1)...

Do you guys think its because my OS is Win 2k3?

And why does he have to kill the Rim.Net process also?

Please use plain text.
tneil

Our tested and supported environments are 32-bit Windows XP and Vista with VS2008 with service pack 1.  So Win2k3 was never tested.  It could very well be causing an issue.  The product uses Microsoft Message Queues that our installer is configured to install for both XP and Vista.  The install may not be able to configure these on Win2K3 as it was never tested as a supported platform.

Without service pack 1 in Visual Studio 2008 there are side effects that occur.  I can't remember if the issue that you are seeing on XP is related to one of those issues or not.

I would suggest installing Service Pack 1 for VS2008 on the XP machine and give it a try.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
NinjaCoder

Actually I tried the steps again on my Win 2k3 box and it worked...

I think its related to the bold emulator.

I have had nothing but problems with the bold emulator.

Even on an XP Box without Visual studio or plugin with BlackBerry_Simulators_4.6.1.94_8900-Rogers emulator I have issues that only 1 out of 3 page requests go through... 

I am going to try to get the visual studio plugin to work with another emulator...

I am now installing: BlackBerry_Simulators_4.7.1.40_9630.exe

Please use plain text.
New Developer
yitseong

The same problem occured to me.

I am using windows vista 64-bit with VS2008.

any idea?

thanks 

Please use plain text.