Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
enableDeepak
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone
Accepted Solution

Web Dev approach - which is better?

Hi,

I have a website which makes extensive use of AJAX toolkit and works good in ie. The same site doesn't works as intended in 9700 (5.0.0442) simulator.

Q1) Is it that Blackberry 9700 doesn't supports AJAX toolkit completely? (I tried opening few asp.net site samples on simulator and of all 80% worked fine)

Q2)If you think, it is a better idea to have a site version of website customized for 9700, which of following is best approach?

Approach-1) Make a simple HTML site and host it on IIS and ask users to open this site instead

expected pros: quick and easy development            cons:everytime user will need to download pages hence slow

Approach-2) Make a web widget which will have all pages HTML available and will just invoke webservices to get the data.

expected pros:better performance   cons:more dev effort than approach1

Additional Details:

Model intended to work on: 9700 (OS 5.0.0.442)

Development: Visual Studio, C#

Thanks for your help

Please use plain text.
Developer
iamtony
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Web Dev approach - which is better?

Hello,

You should be able to find documention about AJAX for BlackBerry Browser here:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/subcategories/?userType=21&category=BlackBerry+Widgets&subC...

I have used some basic AJAX in a widget I have developed, and have experienced no problems thus far.I used the XMLHttpRequest object.

My opinion would be to use Approach2 as I value performance over development time. The reason being is that your user base will not want to wait all the time. Sure it may be easier for you to do, but in the long run the users will appreciate you for taking that extra time to make the site better.

-iamtony

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Web Dev approach - which is better?

My guess is that the issues are more in the JavaScript toolkit than in the AJAX capability itself.  The BlackBerry Browser starting with OS 4.6 has a W3C standard implementation of the XMLHttpRequest object.

There may be some unsupported CSS or DOM manipulation that is being performed in the toolkit.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.