Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Web Development Tools now out of Beta

[ Edited ]

Hi Everyone,

Our new Web Tooling just came out of Beta and is now released for debugging and profiling browser-based applications and content.  Both the Eclipse version and the Microsoft Visual Studio versions are availalbe for download.  Links to the product download pages are http://www.blackberry.com/developers/webeclipse and http://www.blackberry.com/developers/webvisualstudio

They both will detect simulators that you have downloaded.  However the minimum OS versions of the simulator for the plug-ins are v4.6.0.212, v4.6.1.132 and v4.7.0.80.

So if you have older simulators, please make sure you head back to the Simulator download page and pick up the latest. https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=060AD92489947D410D897474079C1477 

Message Edited by tneil on 08-01-2009 07:36 AM
Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Developer
NinjaCoder
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Web Development Tools now out of Beta

What does this mean:

"However the minimum OS versions of the simulator for the plug-ins are v4.6.0.212, v4.6.1.132 and v4.7.0.80."

With regular math 4.6.0.212 < 4.6.1.132 < 4.7.0.80.

On the download simulator plan there seem to have emulators grouped by vX.Y.Z

Does the mean if I click on the v4.6.0 then it needs to be > 4.6.0.212 (aka the 224 and 267 will work)

If so does this mean none of the 4.7.1 versions will work?

Also which is a bigger version: v4.7.0.78 or v4.7.0.148 (is 78 bigger than 148 or is the 78 really 078?)

Developer
NinjaCoder

So i tried emulator with version 7.0.128

But when I press F5 I get this message:

Bad value "9530-Verizon" for option /handheld.
Try "fledge /help" for command line help.

Retired
tneil

[ Edited ]

Version numbers are:

[Major].[Minor].[Revision].[Build]

So 4.7.0.100 > 4.7.0.50

Because it is build 100 which is greater than build 50 for the 4.7 code line.   Each code line 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.7 are separate and are built for different types of hardware.  So each one can have different branches of code that require different testing because they are different devices. 

So when a [Major], [Minor] or [Revision] is different, it is likely a different piece of hardware.  If you draw the parallel to say a Windows operating system.. you can think of the differences between Windows 3.1, 95, 98, XP, Vista.

While the basis of each code line is similar, and they are incremental in nature, they all have their slight differences. 

We'll give that simulator a try and see if we can find what the issue may be.

Can we please also verify your Operating system and Visual Studio version including service packs. 

Message Edited by tneil on 08-02-2009 10:14 PM
Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Developer
NinjaCoder

tneil, just for you I found an XP box installed Visual Studio 2k8 and then VS 2k8 SP1 and then the plugin and then the simulator mentioned above and boom same thing.

Developer
NinjaCoder

For the ones I have tried:

BlackBerry_Simulators_4.6.1.94_8900-Rogers.exe - unsupported
BlackBerry_Simulators_4.7.0.75_9530-Verizon.exe - unsupported
BlackBerry_Simulators_4.7.0.108_9500.exe - works with the stop RIM.NET.Tools.ScriptHost.exe hack
BlackBerry_Simulators_4.7.0.113_9500.exe - works with the stop RIM.NET.Tools.ScriptHost.exe hack
BlackBerry_Simulators_4.7.0.122_9500_Europe.exe - fledge error
BlackBerry_Simulators_4.7.0.148_9530-Verizon.exe - fledge error
BlackBerry_Simulators_4.7.1.40_9630.exe - unsupported

Now when I say "works" I actually am having 2 other issues:

1. It frequently cannot make requests. For example Right now I went to my test page and it made the request once. Then I clicked refresh and waited a while and eventually I get "A communication failure occurred with the selected Mobile Data Service. The server may be busy, please try again later. If the problem persists contact your administrator". Then I tried to hit google.com and got the same thing.

2. On my test page I get "The XML is not well-formed." My http header sent to the black berry is text/html so it should be interpruted as html not xml. Is it because I use the XHTML 1.0 Transitional doc type? How do I find out what part it is complaining about? Do I have to do what bing.com does for inline script:

</script><script type="text/javascript">//<![CDATA[
alert('hi');
//]]>

Thanks

Developer
Developer
jcr

So, from the above post, it should not work with:

BlackBerry® Device Simulators v4.7.0.76 (9530 Telus)
Supported devices: BlackBerry® 9530 smartphone ((9530 Telus) ??

Retired
tneil

The supported BlackBerry Smartphone simulators are based on OS code lines.  New simulators have been released to make sure that the added debugging functionality is available.  Older simulators either do not have the capability, or have issues with the debugging protocol.

For 4.6.0 you must have a simulator version greater than 4.6.0.212

For 4.6.1 you must have a simulator version greater than 4.6.1.132

For 4.7.0 you must have a simulator version greater than 4.7.0.80

We have now seen that there can be a problem when you use a Wireless Carrier specific simulator (i.e. Verizon, Telus, Rogers etc.).  But we also have a work around to correct the problem.

If you add a carrier specific simulator you will need to make a correction in the skins.xml file located in the "bin\skins" directory of your Visual Studio plug-in installation directory.  Typically "C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry VS9 Plugin 1.2\bin\skins"

1. You can open up this file in Visual Studio's XML editor
  2. Look for the carrier specific simulator that has been detected
  3. Find the “params” attribute for that simulator Eg: params="/app=Jvm.dll /handheld=9530-Verizon /app-param=DisableRegistration /app-param=JvmAlxConfigFile:9530-Verizon.xml /app-param=JvmDebugModeOff /session=9530-Verizon /app-param=MdsDebug:smileysurprised:ff /app-param=BrowserDebugPort:5557 /app-param=BrowserDebug:smileysurprised:n /app-param=NoTutorial /keep-lcd-on"
  4. Remove “-Verizon” from the handheld value highlighted.  It would look like this after you removed the value.
    params="/app=Jvm.dll /handheld=9530 /app-param=DisableRegistration /app-param=JvmAlxConfigFile:9530-Verizon.xml /app-param=JvmDebugModeOff /session=9530-Verizon /app-param=MdsDebug:smileysurprised:ff /app-param=BrowserDebugPort:5557 /app-param=BrowserDebug:smileysurprised:n /app-param=NoTutorial /keep-lcd-on"
  5. Note: Remember that you need to leave a space in between the slashes in the “params”
  6. Save the skins.xml file
  7. Restart Visual Studio and use the carrier specific simulator to debug

We are working to make sure this is corrected in a follow up release.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Developer
Developer
jcr

Just installed v1.2 and when I got to new Project, I don't see Blackberry.

But when I got to Tools > Options, I do see Blackberry there. However, I tried following the instructions on the Technical Knoledge Page to install the Storm Simulator and it says it is unsupported

What am I doing wrong to not see the Blackberry under new project. And is a better instructions on how to add new simulator into the plug in?

Retired
tneil

The Visual Studio plug-in v1.2 does not support creating MDS Runtime applications.  You will need to continue to use v1.1 of the plug-in side by side with the latest version if you still want to continue building MDS Runtime applications.

For debugging web sites, you create a new web project, choose the BlackBerry browser as the default Browser for debugging and then debug your web content like you normally would in IE

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter