Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
willw
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: Vodafone

Web Inspector with Mac Safari no longer working

I've just updated to Safari 6 on my Mac, and now the WebWorks web inspector no longer works. I behaves in the same way as it does on current google chrome. Any one now how to fix this, as I'm no longer able to debug with the web inspector. I'm assuming that the latest version of Safari has updated to the latest version of the webkit web inspector that chrome has been using for a while.

WebWorks: BlackBerry WebWorks for Smartphones SDK 2.3.1.5

Browser: Safari 6.0 (7536.25) or Chrome 21.0.1180.57

OSX: Mac OSX Lion (10.7.4)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
willw

Re: Web Inspector with Mac Safari no longer working

Anyone? This is causing me many problems, anyone have a workaround?
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
astanley
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

I haven't heard of this yet. But I'll ask around.

Can you still /ping the IP address of your target device?  If not, it appears there is a connection error.

Otherwise, can you describe what you mean by "the WebWorks web inspector no longer works"?

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
willw

Yep I can ping the device. The behaviour is the same as you get when you try to use the web inspector with Chrome 21. The first page of tabs is available, but when you click the link, the page for web inspector opens up, but fails to load properly, and you're left with a grey bar at the top of the screen, and the web inspector footer. It's the same problem as http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-and-WebWorks-Development/Unable-to-access-Web-Inspector-f... where the solution was to use Safari, which obviously no longer works.

Please use plain text.
astanley

Okay thanks for reporting this.  I've escalated to the browser dev team for investigation.

Unfortunately I don't use a Mac, so cannot reproduce.  I use latest Chrome v21 and Windows and can connect to WI and use all panels correctly. 

What BlackBerry 7 devices are you testing with?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please use plain text.
Contributor
willw

Testing with Blackberry 9790's with version 7.0.0 Bundle 2356 (Vodafone)

Please use plain text.
astanley

Thanks.

Chatting with the browser team, we think the sockets implementation that Safari 6 is now using has changed. This is how connectivity occurs between the desktop browser and remote web inspector.

The suspicion is that the version of the spec that was implemented for BlackBerry 7 was draft, and since then Safari 6 has upgraded.  This may be the reason for this change in behavior.  If that is the case, I don't have a workaround.

Note: we just tested using Safari 6 and BlackBerry 7.1 device software and it does still work.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
willw

Cool. That's probably the reason that Chrome 21 doesn't work on the mac as well, I believe the last verion of Chrome that worked was 14. 

Unfortunately our provider, Vodafone UK, haven't pushed out a 7.1 update for their 9790's yet, so we have to use the 7.0 version. Good to know that it will work in 7.1 when we get it.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
willw

I've just found out how to revert back to Safai 5.1.7:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/57916/how-do-you-remove-safari-6-on-mac-os-x-10-7-4

The answer is the one that starts "To downgrade Safari 6 on OS X Lion (10.7.4) to Safari 5.1.7:" and has +100 against it. I've just done it and now have the web inspector working again.

Please use plain text.
astanley

[ Edited ]

Our current recommendation is to use a different browser other than Safari 6 for connecting to a Smartphone Web inspector.  If you happen to have a Window's machine, that works.  Otherwise you could even use a PlayBook browser.

Is there any way for you to roll back to Chrome 14 on your mac?

Edit: just saw your reply which we posted at the same time.  Good to see there is a tutorial on how to downgrade to version 5.x

Please use plain text.