Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
nileshwable
My Device: Not Specified

Web Works Socket Sample program

Hi friends,

If you have worked on Black Berry Web Works then please guide me how to use the Socket in Web Works    OR   How to use Socket in Java Script.

Please reply me if any one have idea.

Thanking you,

Nilesh.

Retired
astanley
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Web Works Socket Sample program

Hello,

if you are referring to HTML5 Web Sockets, that is not currently supported on the BlackBerry Web Platform.

However, sockets technology certainly is supported on BlackBerry, and you can access this functionality through the use of a custom JavaScript extension.

Please see the following Knowledge Base article on networking, which includes a sample application that demonstrates how to establish socket connections.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/What-Is-Network-API-alternative-for-legacy-O...

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
New Developer
pnewhook
My Device: Torch 9800 and Playbook

Hi astanley, does the Playbook have any options for using sockets? It's my understanding we don't have the facilities to write custom JavaScript extensions yet.

New Contributor
Nabotus
My Device: Will get a Playbook

Hi AStanley,

There seems to be a lot of information about Javascript extensions, and conflicting information on whether or not these can be used in the playbook.

So, if I create a Javascript extension for the Java implementation of sockets, can I use this in a webworks application for the PlayBook ?

If I can, this would mean I could use any of the samples from Java and use extensions for pieces we need

Thanks in Advance for your answer

Developer
interfaSys
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,

@Nabotus - You can't create those extensions on the Playbook yet due to the lack of a JVM...

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.