Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8530

Web application for BB

I searched the forum to avoid posting this question but I could not find a complete answer. I am new to BB Web development and I want to create a version of my current Web application (developed with ASP.NET, jQuery, etc.) to run on BB. I am not clear about the difference between BB Web application and BB widget. Should I redesign all the pages to fit properly on BB screen or there is an easier way to do it? Do I need anything any *deployment" on the device?

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Web application for BB

Hi pourreza,

A BlackBerry Widget is an application that is installed on the BlackBerry smartphone, either through BlackBerry App World, through the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, Desktop manager or other means.

A BlackBerry Web application is simply a website that opens up in the BlackBerry Browser.

For both a web application and a widget we recommend that you target your user interface to a smaller screen and use the viewport tags to control user scaling and zooming.  A panning experience isn't the best :smileyhappy:

A BlackBerry Widget runs locally on the device but it can have a combination of local and remote screens coming from your server. This allows you to put the logic of your application wherever it makes sense (server or client).  A widget is entirely written in web technologies using HTML/CSS for your UI layout and JavaScript for your application logic.

In a Widget you can provide a native look and feel without the "pointer" or the Browser UI (menu, requesting bar etc).  You have full control of your application's UI to make it look like a native application.

A BlackBerry Widget also gives you access to all of the BlackBerry Widget APIs that allow you to integrate with the device:

http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/widgetapi/

Widget samples and tutorials can be found here:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/browserdev/widgetsdk.jsp

You can also download the Widget SDK, Eclipse or Visual Studio tooling here:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/browserdev/devtoolsdownloads.jsp

Some UI examples can be found here:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-Development/Some-Cool-UI-Examples/td-p/519868

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
New Contributor
My Device: 9630

I am very new to the BB web app development. I have a similar situation, my current website is database driven,  I am not sure whether to create a lightweight website to run in the blackberry browser or create a new widget? How to make sure that the widget connect to the same database as the regular version of the website?  Is the webservice the only solution?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Hi Mindy555,

In either the widget or website, you can make the UI of your HTML be much more friendly to mobile users.  In both cases it will work for either a widget or a simple website.  They can share the same server side database and all your page generation can reside on the server if you like.

If you package the application as a BlackBerry widget, your server side code can generate JavaScript that will access BlackBerry APIs.

You can set the start page for your widget to simply point to your website.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Hello,

I downoloaded your UI examples.  I was thinking about installing it on my tomcat server and browsing from the device to the start.htm page.

I do not want to install it as a widget application because some of the users stillhave blackberry 4.5.0 devices ... believe it or not :smileyhappy:

Would that work if the jar file is hosted on the server side?  What is the alternative to allow those users to use the application?

Would like to have them do everything from the blackbery browser while accessing device information as necessary.

Thanks.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

algrims wrote:

Hello,

I downoloaded your UI examples.  I was thinking about installing it on my tomcat server and browsing from the device to the start.htm page.

I do not want to install it as a widget application because some of the users stillhave blackberry 4.5.0 devices ... believe it or not :smileyhappy:

Would that work if the jar file is hosted on the server side?  What is the alternative to allow those users to use the application?

Would like to have them do everything from the blackbery browser while accessing device information as necessary.

Thanks.

One of the alternative way , upgrade the user old OS of the blackberry device to 5.X.X.X