Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
kudos12
My Device: Not Specified

Web development or java development .. which to choose .

Hi,

i am very new to bb. I have to make a app like the WSJ plugin for bb. Please have a look at the link below.

http://online.wsj.com/public/page/0_0560.html

and watch the "WSJ.com Mobile Reader Features" section.

For implementing such functionalities, I am not sure how to proceed. I should take the path of browser development(web development) or I should take the path of java developemnt. I tried few hands on java develoment but was not very successfull.

Still stuck how to proceed.

Please help me in moving forward.

Hoping for a positive reply ...

Thanks,

Regards,

Amber

Developer
jwargo
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800

Re: Web development or java development .. which to choose .

It's a question of how much functionality you want to provide and how much work you're willing to do. Browser's the easiest (probably) since you already have the web site, all you'd have to do is detect a mobile device and render mobile-friendly content from your site when you encounter one.

The WSJ applications is really nice, but a lot of work to build. They had to build the dynamic menuing system and optimize the streaming of the content to the device to be rendered. Benefit though is that the content's on the device (and therefore readable while offline) and the user's experience is much better.

Developer
kudos12
My Device: Not Specified

Hi John,

Its really good to see a reply from you. I am waiting for your book very patiently, coz i realy need it a lot. Only documents are not sufficient for any of the newbie. They needs alot of more helping stuff which are i think available in book (as per the content review i read).

Well the current WSJ application is having a lot of stuff, but requirment is much less than that.

My application will have first page which will have a horizontal tab at top and that tab on selected will open a list of news below it. Tabs selectd will change its color and look. On clicking the news list, news details will be available on next screen with tab as it is and will have a back button below tabs which will atke user to list.

There will be one setting page which will ask user to select the tab it wants to be invisible.

That setting will be save.

Question: How and where can i save the users setting? In database, or at the mobile of user, which is the most convinient way.

Thanks,

Regards,

Amber

Developer
jwargo
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800

Something I forgot to say before is that browser apps become much more powerful beginning with BlackBerry Devcie Software 4.6. Beginning with that browser, you can use AJAX to make your web site more dynamic and mimic the capabilities of a Java application. For device software 5.0 and higher you can use BlackBerry Widgets which are a pretty cool hybrid between Java and browser.

To answer your questions - If you're building a browser application, you can store the settings in cookies.

If a Java application, the BlackBerry Java platform supports both the MIDP RMS capabilities and BlackBerry proprietary object store capabilities. Beginning with Device Software 5.0 you will also have the ability to use Google Gears and SQLite. Anyway, you can write the settings to local repository (recor store, object store or database).