Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

[WebGL] Texture sizes

[ Edited ]

WebGL has a function to query the maximum texture size:

C/C++ OpenGL2 has a similar function:

glGetIntegerv( GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE, &tmax);

On both PowerVR and Adreno, both functions return 4096.

However, in WebGL, textures of 4096x4096 (or even 4096x256) are not rendered on either chipset. Test page: http://innovatology.nl/clients/rim/bb10/webglbug3/  (click here for QR code). I have not tested in C/C++ yet.

There seems to be some confusion on max_texture_size:

• PowerVR SGX544 in STL100-1:
    • The specs for PowerVR SGX544 state max texture size of 4096;
    • the BB specs for PowerVR talk about 2048 (though I expect that is based on the Dev Alpha A SGX540)
  • Adreno 225 in all others:
    • I can't find specs from Qualcomm online
    • the BB specs for Adreno state 4096

Tested on

• Z10 STL100-1 with
  • DAC SQN100-3 with

What gives?

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: [WebGL] Texture sizes

[ Edited ]

Hello there, apologies for the delay. I've been doing some digging but can't seem to find any existing issues in the system that call this out directly.

In testing on my 10.2 device, one of the more recent builds, and the test case here:

Is actually rendering for both 2048x2048 and 4096x4096 textures.

My initial guess is that there as originally a rendering issue which has been addressed. I've reached out to our development teams to see if they can help identify which OS versions this should be fixed in.

EDIT: Kudos for the QR code. That was a nice convenience :-)

EDIT2: Confirmed that this is fixed in 10.2. It was logged internally a while back and addressed by the dev teams, but hasn't made it to a public build just yet.

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.