Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
MrNorris
My Device: Blackberry 9900
Accepted Solution

WebWorks 1.0.4.11 recursive directory creation. Bug in build tools

When packaging a webworks application so that it can be deployed to a device, after creating a dev signature & loading it onto the device, I followed the instructions here:

https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/documentation/package_your_bb10_app_with_ww_sdk_2008473_11.ht...

In particular I got to the following line from the website:

bbwp C:\myapp -o C:\myapp\output

As I'm on windows 8 and do not have a .zip archive. You will note from this example line that the output directory is within the application source directory. I followed the same pattern, which seems reasonable.. providing the packager doesn't contain any ludicrous bugs.

To my surprise the packager has recursively created a directory so deep that windows cannot remove it (src/output/src/output...). The packager has literally corrupted my hard-drive. In trying to assess this issue & isolate the problem (as long as the output is somewhere else it seems to work fine) I've now littered my hard drive with these directories.

From a VM with shared directory:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38998737@N06/9339871997/

James

Developer
peardox
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha B, 2x Dev Alpha C

Re: WebWorks 1.0.4.11 recursive directory creation. Bug in build tools

Hehehe - that is a VERY stupid bug

Just tried it and it does as you say - thank god for cygwin (no problems killing it again)

Why anyone would be silly enough to type in the example you give is beyond me though

Click the like button if you find my posts useful!
Contributor
MrNorris

Well it's part of the examples, I don't normally try and second guess the boiler-plate instructions. Anyway thanks for checking its not just me

James

BlackBerry Development Advisor
oros
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

[ Edited ]

Sincere apologies for that; I will follow-up with our documentation team to have that fixed ASAP.

Generally I've seen the packager fail if you supply an export folder that is a sub-folder if your project folder, but I've never seen what you describe. I always recommend using a separate folder for output but that is something that needs to be fixed in the docs.

Edit: Documentation teams have been notified.

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
Contributor
MrNorris

Thanks oros, appreciate it!

oros

Kudos to MrNorris for helping drive the changes here:

https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/documentation/package_your_bb10_app_with_ww_sdk_2008473_11.ht...

Documentation has been updated as well as a little note to not use a subfolder of the project folder. You've likely saved many developers of the future some heartache :-)

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
Developer
gpl4all
My Device: Z10, Q10 & Playbook 64Gb

i'm on Debian Linux 64bit, using BB10-WebWorks-SDK-Linux-Gold (btw, what version of this WebWorks? )

it happened to me yesterday.

i zipped my application in sample.zip

the correct command should be:

bbwp sample.zip -g password -o outputdir

but accidently i typed:

bbwp -g password -o outputdir

then the rather similar error happened:
[ERROR]   Error: ENAMETOOLONG, name too long '/mnt/sdb1/work/rim/workspace-webworks/bbuisamples/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/src/dynamicPillButtons.html'

luckily it didn't do any harm to my harddisk, it's because in my case, i didn't specify output inside source directory, instead i forget to define source. and after reading this thread i tried to simulate the same thing, and break after few seconds, and the result is just same here in Linux.

aside from documentation, i thing this is minor bug in bbwp that should be fixed.

oros

Agreed! I will pass this feedback to our WebWorks SDK team.

Contributor
kenyee
My Device: developer

FYI, doesn't matter if the directory is on a different drive.  If you run bbwp twice, it'll create a recursive structure you can't delete in Windows :-P

I'm using the latest WW10 tools downloaded  8/14/2013 :-P

I tried running bbwp -v to get the version (no other params) and it tries populating source????

"J:\Win32Dev\SenchaBBWebWorks10\third_party\node\windows\node.exe" "J:\Win32Dev\
SenchaBBWebWorks10\lib\bbwp.js" -v
[BUILD]   Populating application source
^C

Whoever wrote this should be smacked hard :-P