Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
billfoust
My Device: BlackBerry Torch

WebWorks (VisStudio) in VM?

Has anyone else tried to run the development environment in a VM? I've got a WinXP VM setup with VS 2008 (SP1) and the VS plugin installed. I haven't done much with VS yet, but the device simulators were terribly slow. It took about 5 minutes to boot up the simulator (both storm and torch) and once it was done, the skin was missing. I could still click the right areas, but I didn't see any buttons. The hello world app worked ok though.

The CPU of the VM seems to be pegged, and I'm not sure I can do anything about that in MS Virtual PC. My host machine wasn't showing any signs of strain though. I gave the VM 1GB of RAM. Any thoughts?

Bill

Bill
-------------------------------------------
Check out my book on BlackBerry Development for Java.
And my other really really old book
My Apps: FlashKids
Developer
Heiko
My Device: Playbook

Re: WebWorks (VisStudio) in VM?

[ Edited ]

I've run Visual Studio fine in VM. Can't vouch for Simulator.

1st recommendation would have been memory but 1GB sounds decent.

Can you maybe confirm how much memory is being used when the simulator/emulator is being used ?  - if its swapping then adding more memory would be the quick/easy fix

- think there's also a disk indicator which might give you an idea if the disk is busy

Also in Virtual PC you can set CPU priority for your VM - think you could do that in VMWare aswell.

- have you got multiple CPU's ?

Maybe it'll  help to assign more CPU's to your VM

I recall getting performance benefits setting the Virtualization engine parameters - but don't recall off hand which ones ..

As far as I know if your CPU supports Virtualization, then these settings will be enabled - I had googled virtualization support for my CPU.

All the best - I'm sure if you find the right setting you can get better performance out of your VM :smileyhappy:

.H

Developer
billfoust

How do you test your apps if you don't run the simulator in the VM with Visual Studio?

I gave the VM 2GB just for kicks and it didnt seem to make a difference. It only used about 700Mb.

I think you can get more advanced setting with Virtual Server, but there doesn't seem to be a way to adjust the CPU settings in Virtual PC. I've got a quad core for this very reason, so I could give the VM another CPU if it were possible, but I can't see  a way to do it in Virtual PC. I'm pretty sure the virtualization parameters are checked and they Virtual PC did that automatically, but I will check later when I get back home.

Visual Studio seems to behave well really. Its when the simulator starts that the CPU usage on the VM spikes to 100%.

I found a tool from VMWare to convert a VPC file to a VMX file. I let that run overnight, but when I tried it quickly this morning it wouldn't boot. :smileysad:

I think the question at hand here is the first question of the post. how do you test apps if you don't run the simulator in the VM?

Bill

Bill
Developer
Heiko
My Device: Playbook

Hi Bill

- Sorry but can't help with the simulator testing since I develop for Playbook (where simulator runs in a standalone VM)

- I currently only use Visual Studio in  VPC to do clean release builds of some C++ projects.

- In Virtual PC you can enable "Hardware Virtualization" in "settings" - at least in VPC 6 (2007)

(if your CPU supports it.)

- In VMWare Player you can add more CPU's  (Virtual Machine Settings -> Hardware -> Processors)

- What OS do you develop under - can't you use the Eclipse IDE from your main OS ?

Stand corrected, but you can use either Eclipse or Visual Studio to run the phone emulators/simulators

Sorry if the info couldn't be of help.

All the best :smileywink:

Developer
billfoust

Sounds like we're saying the same thing. I will have to give VMware another shot and see if I can give it another cpu.

I want to use Visual Studio because like visual studio more than eclipse. :smileyhappy:

And I use VMs to try to keep my host machine clean so I reallty don't want any development environments installed there. It always seems that after a year or so my development machine gets so clogged up with stuff that it just starts breaking. Im trying to keep a seperate VM for each development task. I've got VMs for Eclipse / BB Java, VS 2010 .Net, FlashBuilder Playbook, and now VS2008 webworks. I always just use XP Pro for the VM Os, but the host is Win7.

Anyway, thats the goal. Thanks for trying.

Bill

Bill