Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
tomkranz
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: GiffGaff
Accepted Solution

WebWorks & Ripple: Please enter an author for the application

I've had a search through the forums, and although I've seen posts about an application ID, I've not seen anything that covers this.

I have a WebWorks app I'm trying to port to the Dev Alpha device I have. It all works fine within the Ripple Simulator within Chrome, but when I come to Package & Sign, I get the following error:

Oh Snap! Build request failed with message: [ERROR] Error: Please enter an author for the application

I'm tearing my hair out over this, because in config. xml I have this set:

<author href="http://www.gaeltd.com" rim:copyright="Copyright 2012 GAE Ltd">GAE Ltd</author>

I'm using the Blackberry 10 WebWorks SDK 1.0.3.8 and Ripple Emulator 0.9.10, in Chrome Version 23.0.1271.95 m on Windows 7 64 bit.

All of the paths and passwords etc. within Build/Settings screen within Ripple are all correct, I just can't see why it's choking on this.

Anyone any ideas? It's driving me up the wall, as this is the final round of testing :-(

Thanks,

TOM

Please use plain text.
New Developer
tomkranz

Re: WebWorks & Ripple: Please enter an author for the application

I've also tried trying to sign the app from the command line, with the same results:

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry 10 WebWorks SDK 1.0.3.8>bbwp c:\Dropbox\WebApps\Blackberry\pkgs\wasxor10.zip -d c:\Dropbox\WebApps\Blackberry\pkgs

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry 10 WebWorks SDK 1.0.3.8>"C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry 10 WebWorks SDK 1.0.3.8\third_party\node\windows\node.exe" "C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry 10 WebWorks SDK 1.0.3.8\lib\bbwp.js" c:\Dropbox\WebApps\Blackberry\pkgs\wasxor10.zip -d c:\Dropbox\WebApps\Blackberry\pkgs

[INFO]    Populating application source
[INFO]    Parsing config.xml
[ERROR]   Error: Please enter an author for the application

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry 10 WebWorks SDK 1.0.3.8>

Please excuse the appalling path ;-)

Cheers,

TOM

Please use plain text.
New Developer
tomkranz

Re: WebWorks & Ripple: Please enter an author for the application

OK, one too many martinis while finishing off this app.

For anyone else who sees this error, I made a typo in the settings screen for Ripple - the Project Root was pointing to a directory for a different mobile app I've developed for the Playbook (bad cut and paste action going on).

So naturally when I tried to build a BB10 app, the SDK choked and died, because it was told to pull the config.xml from a completely different application.

Lesson learned: double check all the paths in Ripple's Build/Settings screen.

Clearly can't be down to the martinis .......

Cheers,

TOM

Please use plain text.