Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
MikeBurgess
My Device: Bold, Curve, Torch
Accepted Solution

WebWorks application icons

Hi Guys,

I am currently trying to do the application icon, looking through the documentation you need 2 seperate icon size:

68x68 and 92x92.

I can find no reference to how to detect or implement the different icon sizes on the relevant devices? Is this all taken care under the hood?

Also in the documentation it state: ' For application icons, create an icon file that does not exceed the recommended size for each BlackBerry device model. '

Is that necissary if the icon size is exactaly the same for several models?

Any help in how WebWorks handles this and if we can just stick with 2 icons would be greatly apprechiated.

Thanks,

Mike B

Retired
jeffheifetz
My Device: Bold

Re: WebWorks application icons

Hi Mike,

I believe much of this is related to how perfect you want your icon to look. Personally I've never run into issues with icon sizes so long as the packager was able to accept it (sometimes they were too large).

However appworld allows you to be very specific about which builds go to which device/os combinations so I'm guessing this is for those people who want their icon to always be crisp and thus would be upset if the 68x68 icon were displayed on a device capable of 92x92.

1.Please resolve your thread by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button below the post which solved your problem!
2. If any post helps you please click the button below the post(s)
New Contributor
MikeBurgess

[ Edited ]

So your saying the option to add icons only appears on submission to the app world in a webworks applications. Or can you declare multiple icons in the config file based on certain parameters of the phone?

Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

You can only ever declare one size of icon for your application for the BlackBerry Smartphone.

You are best to use an icon that is the largest supported icon for the different device models you are targetting.  Scaling your icon down on devices with a lower icon size will look better than a small icon being resized larger for a display that supports larger home screen icons.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
New Contributor
MikeBurgess

Thanks Tim,

That makes sense, however when we tried to use a much larger icon before (around 140px) it displayed it massive on the screen and looked completely out of place. It may have just been a dodgey install so will try again with a higher res-icon and hope for the best.

Thanks for that =)

Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Stick with 92 x 92 as your total size...   You will want to center your icon in this 92 x 92 to look correct on the device.  You don't want to fill the whole 92x92 with icon

Here are some more details on icons

https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/html5/documentation/ww_best_practices/icons_and_indicators_micro...

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
New Contributor
MikeBurgess

Thanks Tim,

I had read those guidlines and have always been leaving the 20%ish buffer around the icon. This has all been sorted and is looking great now 92px icon with around 20% space around it and a hover state.

Thanks for the help.

Mike B