Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8530
My Carrier: KoodoMobile
Accepted Solution

WebWorks development through visual studio plugin deployment issue

I have developed a WebWorks application utilizing the Visual Studio plugin, now after compiling the application I am provided with a series of .cod files, not .bar.  All documentation states that the blackberry-deploy command desires a .bar file to deploy the application to the simulator.  I have even tried to simply take all of my program's assets (images, js, css, htm files, etc.), zip them up and compile them utilizing the command tool (bbwp), but I get a string of syntax errors and then one final error (an exception through the JRE) stating that it could not find the necessary file to finish the bar compilation.  Perhaps I am overlooking something?  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated since I can't test this application unless I can actually deploy it to the simulator.   The .cod file wont deploy to the application as I get a manifest error stating that a specific directory/file does not exist in the archive (even though I specified a .cod file).  For some reason I just can't seem to get this thing to deploy to the actual device.  PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!! This portion of the project is soooo frustrating right now, been working on deployment for hours now.

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: WebWorks development through visual studio plugin deployment issue

The Visual Studio and Eclipse Web Plug-ins only compile WebWorks applications for BlackBerry Smartphones.  They do not compile for PlayBook.

You can use them to author your content, but you must use the PlayBook WebWorks SDK command line tool to compile and deploy your application for PlayBook.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
New Contributor

Well since it runs in DOS I am forced to retype this, so I'm just going to supply short snippets for some of the errors that the command line tool responds with when I try to compile my application using this method:

> bbwp "c:\myapp\myapp.zip"

[INFO]        Parsing command line options

[INFO]        Parsing bbwp.properties

[INFO]        Validating WebWorks archive

[INFO]        Parsing config.xml

[INFO]        Populating application source

[INFO]        Compiling WebWorks application

C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\widgetGen.<a bunch of random numbers>.tmp\webworks\config\CustomData.as(38): col: 15 Error: Syntax error: expecting colon before dot.

config.setProperty(ConfigConstants.MAXCACHESIZEITEM,131072);

^

C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\widgetGen.<a bunch of random numbers>.tmp\webworks\config\CustomData.as(39): col: 22 Error: Syntax error: expecting rightbrace before colon.

"accessList" : new Array(

^

/* there is a bunch of these such syntax errors */

Loading configuration file C:\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry WebWorks Packager for PlayBook\bbwp\blackberry-tablet-sdk\frameworks\air-config.xml

[INFO]               Packaging the bar file

java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\widgetGen.<a bunch of random numbers>.tmp\myapp.swf (The system cannot find the file specified)

at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)

at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)

at net.rim.tumbler.file.FileManager.copyFile(Unknown Source)

at net.rim.tumbler.airpackager.AirPackager.run(Unknown Source)

at net.rim.tumbler.WidgetPackager.go(Unknown Source)

at net.rim.tumbler.WidgetPackager.main(Unknown Source)

[ERROR]                   Air Packager exception occurred

Any help on these errors would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

New Developer
My Device: Bold 9700 / Playbook Coming!
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

I think this is because the config.xml file that was generated from visual studio is for the BB device and not the playbook.  You'll have to create a new config.xml file for the playbook app.  The easiest way is to either copy one from one of the webworks tutorials or there is an example in the "Blackberry Webworks SDK - Table OS Development Guide".  Here's the link http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/24043/BlackBerry_WebWorks_SDK-Development_Guid...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author of EZ Scorecard . A Golf scorecard for the Blackberry Playbook

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Contributor

You are 100% correct.  I had started this using a simple HTML editor, which I developed the needed config.xml for, but when I attempted to switch to using the plug-in I lazily decided (and hoped) that it would produce the right config.xml for me.  It was a simple copy/paste to fix all of my problems. *sigh* hours of my life I just will never get back! lol

New Developer
My Device: Bold 9700 / Playbook Coming!
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

I only knew this because I did the exact same thing

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author of EZ Scorecard . A Golf scorecard for the Blackberry Playbook

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------