Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
JoshStrobl
My Carrier: AT&T

WebWorks on Linux (Signing / Packaging) and Config Check

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone,

I have a few questions relating to Blackberry development (obviously, since I'm in the dev. forum), specific to testing, signing and packaging Blackberry applications on Linux (to be specific, Ubuntu 13.04 LTS), as well as a request for some help regarding my config.xml.

Question #1: I have noticed that while there is a Blackberry 10.1 simulator for Linux, I can't seem to get it working in either Vmware Player or VirtualBox OSE. I have guest additions installed and the checksum matches the one provided by BlackBerry however whenever executing, it pauses at Starting screen (I'd be surprised if this was intentional). Any thoughts?

Side Note: I'd run it on Windows, however I run Windows 8 and do WP8 development, which requires Hyper-V, so VmWare player won't install. VirtualBox seems to demand re-installation every time I try to run it as well and sometimes freaks out about AMD-V despite it being enabled in BIOS.

Question #2: After a simple googling, I noticed there is a port of WebWorks signing / packaging for Linux (badtoyz on GitHub) however it seems to be abandoned (no commit in 5 months), so I wasn't sure if it'd be considered reliable to use it or if there is an updated alternative.

Question #3: I have Ripple in Chrome however the application doesn't wish to start up. In the config section it states:

"config.xml file could not be found in the application's root or is malformed XML"

I ran the XML through w3c's validator and it stated it was valid. It's in the same directory (not a sub-folder or the parent directory) as the index.html. Below is the config.xml, any thoughts?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<widget xmlns="http://www.w3.org/ns/widgets" xmlns:rim="http://www.blackberry.com/ns/widgets" id="{redacted}" version="1.0.0.0" rim:backButton="exit">
	<name>{redacted}</name>
	<description>{redacted}</description>
	<author href="{redacted}" rim:copyright="{redacted}">{redacted}</author>
	<icon src="icons/icon-150.png"/>
	<rim:splash src="images/splash-768x1280.png" />
	<rim:splash src="images/splash-720x720.png" />
	<access uri="{redacted}" subdomains="false">
		<feature id="blackberry.app" required="true" version="1.0.0"/>
		<feature id="blackberry.invoke" required="true" version="1.0.0"/>
	</access>
	<rim:permissions>
		<rim:permit>access_shared</rim:permit>
	</rim:permissions>
	<content src="index.html" />
	<feature id="blackberry.system.event" />
	<feature id="blackberry.app" />
	<feature id="blackberry.app.event" />
	<feature id="blackberry.app.orientation">
		<param name="mode" value="portrait" />
	</feature>
</widget>

Thanks a bunch guys :Innocent:

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
erikjohnzon
My Carrier: Virgin

Re: WebWorks on Linux (Signing / Packaging) and Config Check

#1: This should not be the case, we have many people using this simulator successfully. So perhaps it is something wrong with the VMWare Player installation? What distro are you using?

#2: Yes, the Packagers should be supported on Linux. Here is the commit that gave it support in the Packager: https://github.com/blackberry/BB10-Webworks-Packager/pull/195
. Have you tried it yet? Give it a shot, it should work.

#3 I would try running "bbwp" on linux first from the SDK installation. Once that is working then you can layer Ripple on top of it. Since Ripple just runs the SDK itself. Your config file looks fine to me.

@erikjohnzon
erjohnson@blackberry.com
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
JoshStrobl

First off, I appreciate you replying and taking time out of your day to help me out.

Now, to get on to answering your questions:

"So perhaps it is something wrong with the VMWare Player installation? What distro are you using?" I use Ubuntu 13.04.

"So perhaps it is something wrong with the VMWare Player installation?" While I won't rule out any possibilities, I have tested it in both VmWare Player and VirtualBox OSE and both stop on the Start service "screen". Compared the md5 checksum that was provided by Blackberry against the one I generated and it's the same.

Regarding #2 and #3 - Thanks, I'll go ahead and try that out!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
JoshStrobl

Followup:

Followed the advice at http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Android-Runtime-Development/Blackberry-Simulator-freezes-at-q... regarding setting the processor core to single rather than dual or quad, makes no difference and still continues to freeze at START SERVICE: screen

Still can't get the simulator to work. Once again, md5sum shows the md5sum as the same as specified in Blackberry's .cksum.

Tested in both VmWare Player and VirtualBox OSE, using both proprietary AMD (fglrx) and open source drivers.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
JoshStrobl

[ Edited ]

Followup: Got it working, have to boot into Safe Mode but it works.

Please use plain text.