Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold
My Carrier: Bell Canada
Accepted Solution

WebWorks or Java for RSS type of application

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

I am new to Blackberry development, we need to develop a simple RSS type of application for Corporate news, other than download the feeds, the app has to do simple interaction with the server, for example providing the mobile number to the server, etc. What tool kit is suitable for this type of work, WebWorks or Java? 

Cheers,

Eric

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: WebWorks or Java for RSS type of application

Either one of them will work fine... 

Here's a good starting point for WebWorks 

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-and-WebWorks-Development/Sample-Code-RSS-Reader/ta-p/5898...

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
New Contributor

Hi Tim,

This sounds great, I downloaded the RSSReader sample app and load into Eclipse, compile/build is fine, and I run it on "BlackBerry Simulator",  it said "Failed to initialize Database: Cannot convert 'undefined' to an object.".

Sorry, I am brand new in this eara, want to walk thru and understand how the whole think work.

I saw a bunch of javascript files, where does it configure which one load first (config.xml?), can I debug thru js file?

Thanks,

Eric 

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

if you are running it on a 5.0 simulator, you will need to simulate the SD card being inserted.  This is needed for the Database that is used in the sample.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
New Contributor

Thank you, I am able to run the app now, however, when I try to make a internet connection from the simulator, it said "No response from server. Connection timed out." I had done some reading, and some suggest setup MDS simulator, in my case, I don't want to use MDS in my situation.

- Is MDS simulator required for testing WebWorks application?