Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
dong
My Device: 9700

WebWorks plugin for VS 2008 MDS

Hi, I am using WebWorks plugin for VS 2008 (setup filename: vs_plugin_21.exe). Currently, I have a difficulty in debugging push enabled application demo (Lab_Push_Demo) in VS 2008. I already tried to run the cod file directly from the 9700 simulator (OS: 5.0.0.979) and it works. The problem is the application is not working as expected when I launch it from VS 2008 (by pressing F5 key).

Additional info:

1. I already launched MDS simulator before I run the BlackBerry simulator. After that, I open the BlackBerry browser and open a bookmarked URL to initialize the MDS simulator.

2. I notice that the handsets' PINs are different. If I launch the simulator from VS 2008, the PIN is 2100001a. If I lauch the simulator directly, the PIN is 2100000a.

Up until now, I do not have any idea to solve it. Can anyone helps me?

Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: WebWorks plugin for VS 2008 MDS

You will want to make sure that you don't launch the MDS simulator before you run your application using F5 in Visual Studio.  The Visual Studio plug-in launches MDS silently in the background each time it launches the device simulator.  It could be getting port conflicts.

Yes, the pins are different.  Whe the simulator is launched from Visual Studio it is setting the PIN via the command line.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
New Contributor
dong

Is it possible for me to configure WebWorks' MDS settings (e.g. device PIN, opening push port)?

If so, where can I change them?

Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

I don't believe there is a supported way of changing these values in Visual Studio

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
New Contributor
dong

Do you know any workaround to debug a push enabled application using Visual Studio?

Retired
pbhattacherjee
My Device: Not Specified

Hi Dong,

When you say the application is not working as expected, could you please clarrify what you're seeing and what you're expecting?

You can change the PIN of the device you're pushing to on the server side application, in the HTTPPushDemo.java file (located in server component\com\rim\samples\server\httppushdemo), there's settings to change the MDS port and device PIN.

Thanks,

Prosanta

New Contributor
dong

After building a simple push enabled app using WebWorks, I ran several tests to prove that the application works.  I expected that the message get delivered and received by my push enabled app.

Here are some facts from my trials.

1. My push enabled app is working.

After compiling the code, I load the binary (cod file) directly from my standalone 9700 simulator. Then I send some messages using Lab_Push_Demo server (rim and pap).

2. Whenever I launch the application from VS, I saw some error message on Lab_Push_Demo's console.

rim: java.io.IOException: Server returned HTTP response code: 403 for URL: http://localhost:8080/push?DESTINATION=2100001a&PORT=100&REQUESTURI=localhost

Note: I ran my standalone MDS simulator before launching my 9700 simulator.

Btw, how do I know which port is used by WebWorks' MDS?

New Contributor
dong

After doing some experiments, I figured that the MDS is using port 28080.

My next question: How do I know which port is opened by MDS for push (push.application.reliable.ports)?

By the way, is there anyone who is willing to provide step-by-step guide in building and debugging push client using WebWorks?