Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Regular Contributor
bobbyboy1999
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Webworks app freezes on PlayBook UNLESS Web Inspector is running...

@twindsor Hi Tim,

Thanks for the additional response.

I removed the onFirstLaunch from the config.xml file and, while it seems to be working without freezing, I have to admit that it has been working without freezing (except for one instance) as long as I have been testing tonight (ie. before I removed the onFirstLaunch). The only two differences I can think of are that 1) the PlayBook has been turned off completely for a day or so; and 2) I haven't tested for a while so I had to create and upload a new debug token.

The freezing of the app no longer happens every second time. In fact, on the one app it is difficult to replicate and I have not yet been able to make the app freeze since I removed the onFirstLaunch reference, although I've only run the app about 6-7 times so far.

This would normally be a good thing, but another one of my apps, which also uses WebDB and which hs not had any problems like this before, now exhibits the freezing, albeit it will happen on the first run of the program, once I tap on a drop down list (ie. select) item.

I still think this must have something to do with Javascript execution in the browser engine and how that engine may not release everything as it should once an app is shut down.

As for the sample DB you included, I finally managed to get it running. The problem I had was with authorship as it was not able to match ownership of the software with the stated owner (ie. me) for the debug token. However, once I added a Blackberry Tablet.config file (which was not included with your sample for some reason--is it always needed for the PlayBook?) I was able to upload the file. I have yet to be able to make that one freeze.

However, the simple file I sent to you in this post, I HAVE been able to freeze that one up after a few shutdowns.

Not sure what else to say. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again for your help.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
bobbyboy1999

@twindsor Hi Tim,

I have tested the two simple WebDB versions, both yours and mine, repeatedly.  The initial results this morning have been somewhat consistent.  Your version does not seem to freeze up, whereas my version freezes every 2nd or 3rd time.

However, once I removed the onFirstLaunch from the config file from MY test version (posted earlier in this thread), it will NOT crash.  I have tested it again, and again, and again, and it seems to work.

So, it appears as though you are a genius.  Your "long shot" solution looks like it works.

However, we are left with the question, why does it work?  I have included that onFirstLaunch in my previous apps without issue until now.  What does it do? I thought it simply had to do with the loading screen.  Why must it now be left out?

Rest assured that I will pester you again in this thread if this happiness turns out to be short-lived.  But in the interim, thank you again for your help.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
twindsor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Have you removed the whole loading screen tag, or just the first time attribute?

My hunch was that since there's no actual settings included in the loading screen tag that it's either doing a transparent loading screen or otherwise messing up somehow which looks like a freeze. I think there needs to be some element, ie: background or image to be displayed, even though all the properties are optional. 

Just a theory though, I could be completely out to lunch.

Tim Windsor
Application Development Advisor II
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
bobbyboy1999

I just removed the first time attribute.

As for the freeze, it didn't happen on startup, just after the app was running and I had tapped on a few things.
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
twindsor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell

That's really weird. I'll have to look into it further to figure out what is happening. At least you are up and running though and can submit your app.

Tim Windsor
Application Development Advisor II
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
klik
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: -

Ouch. My Webworks app has been freezing randomly when displaying select lists. Not finding any solution, I had reached the point where I started to re-implement the lists myself, just to get the app shipped...

Then I stumbled on this thread. Turns out it fixes the problem, for whatever reason.

Since the solution is spread out over multiple pages, to help anyone searching: in Playbook OS 2.0, if your Webworks application freezes (hard lock, requires app quit), take a look for a loadingScreen element in your config.xml. If you have onFirstLaunch="true", try removing it.

Please use plain text.