Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: BB Dev Aplha os10
My Carrier: Bell

Webworks browser versus the device browser what is the difference

Hello,

While doing some tesing I notice the "instance/application" brower in webworks and the device browser are not the same... Is there any documentation what are the difference between the two?

At the begining I thought they were the same because the user agent is the same however the display is differs.

In my case, my webworks application is opening an external website using window.location.href in the index.html.

While tesing the website I saw the dropdown list display a certain way and when I use the actual browser of the device the display is different.  Also, if I delete my cookies from the device browser, it will not delete the cookies from the "instance" browers in webworks.

BlackBerry 10 WebWorks SDK 1.0.2.9

BB os 10 build 10.0.9.388

Any insight would be helpful, because this means if they are not the same, I need to validate my external website twice (once in webworks, once in the device actual browser).

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Webworks browser versus the device browser what is the difference

Hi there,

For the most part these two browsers function the same, but there may be some visual differences; a part of this is simply a result of the WebWorks and browser engines being under development at the same time. However, basic functionality like deleting cookies should function the same in both, and if you are seeing a difference while using standard HTML5 APIs, then the best bet would be a bug report submission here:

https://github.com/blackberry/BB10-WebWorks-Framework/issues?state=open

Unfortunately there isn't any particular document that outlines differences between the browser and WebWorks applications. Ultimately the WebKit rendering engine should be the same, but testing the WebWorks implementation is also recommended.

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.