Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
yogeshlanjekar
My Device: 9800

Webworks on Blackberry, Android, iPhone

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me , the application developed using webworks, will work fine on Blackberry, Android and iPhone ?

My understanding is application developed in Webworks will work on Blackberry, Android and iPhone. Am i correct? Please help me.

Cheers,

YoGi

Retired
jeffheifetz
My Device: Bold

Re: Webworks on Blackberry, Android, iPhone

Hi YoGi,

WebWorks applications will ONLY run on BlackBerry devices (ie Playbooks and BlackBerry smartphones). 

However using a framework like PhoneGap will allow you to build for all of these platforms and take full advantage of the webworks APIs.

Additionally you can use Ripple to emulate both WebWorks and Phonegap applications

1.Please resolve your thread by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button below the post which solved your problem!
2. If any post helps you please click the button below the post(s)
Developer
interfaSys
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,

I would add that you should use popular mobile frameworks such as JQuery Mobile or Sencha Touch if you intend on targetting many different devices. The advantage of combining them with phonegap is that you don't have to use OS specific APIs like webworks to have access to the hardware.

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.
Developer
Hithredin
My Device: Z10 Red

Webworks is only a set of Javascript API that call Java code though an interface in BrowserField. In compile time it create a simple Java application putting the entry html into a BroserField and attach the Java/Javascript interfaces to it. Am I right?

So, it can't be difficult to do the same in Android. It may be even easier since the Android WebView is more stable and easy to manipulate than the OS5/6/7 BrowserFields. It'll juste take time to support all Webworks features.

Do you know of such a project?

BlackBerry Development Advisor
twindsor
My Device: Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Hithredin, PhoneGap is the project that you are looking for.

Tim Windsor
Open Source Technical Lead