Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
iphoneman
My Device: Not Specified

Weird textarea issues

Hello. When a user clicks on a textarea, it seems to put the cursor in the exact point that they clicked. If the value is empty, it will automatically put in a newline to get the caret to that position. This means that textareas end up having a bunch of newlines that they shouldn't have.

I tested using this code in the storm simulator.

<textarea rows="5"></textarea>

Is there a way to stop this?
New Developer
iphoneman

Re: Weird textarea issues

I found another weird issue, this one with a regular text field on the bold simulator (4.6.0.150) and originally reported on a BB Bold device (unknown version).

<input type="text" name="test2" value="test">

Put the cursor over the text in the text field then move the cursor right beyond the edge of the text field. Notice when you reach the end of the text field the text in the box will scroll left out of view even though all of the text could fit in the view. You have to try it out to see what I'm talking about.
New Developer
d529518

Textarea problem showed up for me with 4.5 OS. Was working fine with previous version. All text after my newline was truncated and then nothing else on the page rendered (i.e., no other form fields and no submit button). But I make sure I don't have any newline characters in the text I put into the textarea then all is well. So far I have not been able to find any combo of characters I can use for newlines and have it work (e.g., \n, \n\r, \r\n).
New Developer
josejorgeruiz

I'm having the same problem. The text in the textbox is not wrapping and the rendering is interrupted. The rest of the form and the submit button do not appear.  Has someone found a solution? I find that it only happens when the text should be wrapping. If I shorten the text to not wrap the rest of the form is rendered.
New Developer
KRH12363

I also am experiencing this in 4.5. When loading a textarea with more than a few words/lines of data, the textarea stops rendering the form. The entire textarea outline is drawn but nothing else in the form is rendered. I've experienced this in both the Blackberry and Internet Browsers with a 8330. All previous OS versions work fine. I've validated it at ready.mobi and it went through with a 4 (Good) rating.

Sample source: http://www.waveformsoftware.com/waveform/site/bb/

Note that I have another version of this form, same HTML, where users submit new content instead of editing existing content put into the form; the new content one works fine when the users are putting stuff into the textarea themselves. It's only editing existing content where the browser seems to die after the textarea. I've even tried it with ridiculously small textareas, like 6-8 words, and the error still presents. If I snip out the textareas everything renders normally.

New Developer
linenoise

I'm seeing the same issue, anytime I have a line break (not <br />) it causes the page to stop rendering on the phone.  The simulator crashes with a JVM fault but network access does not work until it is closed and restarted.

I don't see why a \n in a text would cause the page to not display.  Let me know if you figure this out.  (I am using the Blackberry 8320 simulator and phone too) OS 4.5.0.81

I'm going to try stripping out all \n in the string, but that is not my preferred solution.

New Developer
linenoise

Current solution:

What I've done to keep the page from stopping rendering is to remove the rows="" restriction I had in the XHTML page.

However, doing so is invalid under the XHTML MP 1.2 which require both rows="" and cols="" specifiers.  But hey, if my page works, I'm happy.

Since I did that the newline issue does not seem to be affecting me so I stopped stripping out \r\n characters.  

joelthedrummer
My Device: 8800

Just to add on this, I noticed if I set rows="6" it works, but rows="7" (and higher) fails.  As noted before, it only seems to fail when there is a newline in the default value.

This is using the BlackBerry 8800 Simulator with RIM OS 4.5.

New Developer
bumbyjumby

Did you ever find a solution to the text sliding out of view? I am having the same problem and am completely stumped.