Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
My Device: BB Torch
Accepted Solution

Whats the Memory Limit for Webworks Apps? Our App Fails to Load 50% of the time.

[ Edited ]

* This question concerns Webworks memory for the Z10 device only *

We have looked EVERYWHERE and cannot find an updated answer to this! Also looked through all the documentation.

We created several games using HTML5 that has great special effects and sound/music.  Only issue is that we just heard some people have had memory issues with Webworks apps. 

The game we were about to publish has a 12MB download size, but uses a total 32MB of memory. The JS script itself is only 800KB but resources that are loaded all at once into memory are at 12MB but an additional 20MB are procedurally generated as the user progresses through the levels.

It has worked fine in the simulator about 3/6 times, with the other 3 times drawing a blank screen. We have not tested on a device yet. The game runs smoothly on desktop browser 100% of the time.  We assume the loading failures in the sim is due to memory issues?

What is the total maximum allowed memory usage for webworks apps? I heard this is much lower than Native apps.  We have a great game made that was in high demand for a while now and this is great for Blackberry's gamers who pay for games - but unfortuntaely I am uncertain if we can publish it now.

Visitor
My Device: Z10

Re: Whats the Memory Limit for Webworks Apps? Our App Fails to Load 50% of the time.

Did you try to develop your app as a Qt/Qml shell using Qt webview within it? So that you can demand more memory for your app by defining in your project settings file.

Developer
My Device: Blackberry z10

Re: Whats the Memory Limit for Webworks Apps? Our App Fails to Load 50% of the time.

i think file size is not an issue

___________________________________________________________________________________________

*************Plese *********LIKE**** & ****ACCEPT as Solution*** If you got suggestion for your Query.

@RAJESH SVM ----- Blackberry Mobile App Developer, Blaze, India.
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

There are BlackBerry 10 applications that exceed 1GB in size and a very large usage of memory; based on your numbers I don't foresee that being an issue.

Generally, if an application causes the OS to run out of memory, the OS will start cleaning things up (starting with the offending app) to free up resources. This will result in the application closing; not a white screen.

Generally, if you see a white screen on startup, it means that there has been some error in the JavaScript during load.

Have you by chance created a debug version and connected Web Inspector to monitor for any errors during startup?

Are you using any frameworks? BBUI.js, etc.? If so, can you confirm that you are waiting for the window.load event *before any* attempt to access the document or WebWorks APIs?

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.