Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
VansFannel
My Device: Playbook

Where to start

[ Edited ]

Hello.

I'm completely new on Blackberry Webworks development. I'm trying to do an application for Playbook but I don't know where to start.

I have some question:

• A webworks app is a web site, with its pages, images and Javascript code?
  • May I use forms in HTML pages?
  • CSS3 is allowed? And HTML5?
  • Can I use jQuery?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Developer
ChanneledDan
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Where to start

Hi there,

Yes, a WebWorks app is simply just a local website packaged up into an 'app.' It can be made up of html pages, images, CSS, JavaScript, and anything else that can be stored and run locally (videos included).

You can use forms but processing of forms will have to be done either at a remote server (send the data to a server, then receive and display response) or using JavaScript locally inside the app.

Yea, you can use jQuery as it is a JavaScript library, and you can use CSS3 (at least the parts that are currently implemented in WebKit) and HTML5. Especially interesting is that you can use HTML5's local database feature in order to store app data locally.

--------------------------------------
PlayBook Apps: EveryDay Converter
Please use plain text.
Developer
VansFannel

[ Edited ]

I've asked about forms because when I add a button (input type="button") using Microsoft Expression Web 4, it also adds a form.

I think a form isn't necessary.

And  can I use jQuery-mobile?

Thanks for your answer.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peardox
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha B, 2x Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: 3, Orange, Vodafone

If it works in Chrome / Webkit it'll work on Playbook - in some cases better

Playbook has a VERY advanced browser - it scores better than FireFox on HTML5test

There WAS an issue with JQuery 1.51 but that seems to have been fixed

There are a few naming problems you will encounter

Rename jquery.1.5.x.min.js to something like query.js - the same goes for mobile

More than one dot (.) in a filename will cause 'issues' as will underscores and hypens (minus signs)

If you properly structure your directories DONT use js as the name of your JavaScript directory (I just use scripts) - this will also cause problems

Other than that everything is dead easy unless you use some of the advanced features in the current API

The only thing you'll have a problem with after you write your app is signing it - this is dead easy if you know what you need to do...

Make sure the file you create for your p12 is called sigtool.p12 then copy/move it to your <install>/bwpp/bin directory or signing will fail

BB PB is not the most friendly dev environment to use as the problems you will encounter are hard to find the solution to but as long as you know what to do everything is very easy

There's a Kudos button just over there -> Go press it :smileyhappy:

Click the like button if you find my posts useful!
Please use plain text.
Developer
VansFannel

Thank you very much for your answers.

All advices will be appreciated.

Please use plain text.