Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
My Device: 9700
Accepted Solution

Which development environment should I use?

Environment:  32-bit Windows 7, most recent Java development environment from Sun, Visual Studio 8 most recent BlackBerry Beta Plug-in, 9700 Simulator working fine, whitelisted remote .NET/ASP/SQL Server 2008 to use as remote formatted page server, XMLHTTP requests,  and possibly direct .asp service calls.

I would like some advice on which development product I should use.  I have been attempting to use the Visual Studio Web Plug-in 2.0 beta 1.  Unfortunately I have been having limited success and because I can't debug in this version of the plug-in I am making a dual web page/JavaScript on an ASP site debugging  without any references to blackberry.xxx until I am satisfied then I copy the code into the index.htm or  my BlackBerryActions.js and give it a try.  Unfortunately, without debugging in the 2.0 beta 1 environment I can only use alert commands to see what is up and the differences in behavior between the desktop browser and the plug-in are significant.  It is very tedious, but I am making slow progress.

I also spent about a day and 1/2 trying to download an Eclipse environment with no success.  I tried multiple builds from the site referring to the documentation on the BB site and various posts and I couldn't get the dependencies to the point where I could get the plug-in to install because of dependency issues.

I have the impression that most applications that are built and are running and being sold are actually full java environment applications using Eclipse or the old environment. 

So I have three questions:

1) should I consider backing up to the 1.1 Visual Studio plug-in so that I can debug?  What will I lose?

2) should I just make the leap to the full java development environment? 

3) Are there any successful commercial web plug-in products in the app world that I could look at to know what is possible.  My favorite application so far is the Bloomberg application.  My impression is that it was built in the Java development environment.  That is the type of application I am trying to make only with more functionality.

Thank you,

Scott

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Which development environment should I use?

Are you using the tooling for building web pages or widgets?  If you are creating widgets you will need the version 2.0.

Debugging support is coming for the 2.0 Web Plug-in near the end of this month (March)

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Contributor
My Device: 9700

Re: Which development environment should I use?

thanks Tim... I will stick with 2.0 because I am using the widget and I will hang on for the new features at the end of the month.