Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Trusted Contributor
Magnetic_dud
My Device: Z10
Accepted Solution

Why the BB10 Webworks SDK needs java?

<intro>

My resolution for the year 2012 is to NOT install the Java JRE on any computer. It's slow, it's bloated,  it's a security threat and it's owned by the most evil software house in the world.

Openoffice (I can't stand the Oracle logo in the splash screen - for me it's dead) Libreoffice bugs me at startup because Java is missing? Easy, google docs!

Eclipse? Notepad++

Android SDK? Ditch it too, BB10 is coming!

But, I was remembering that bbwp was just a batch calling a jar, understandable because in this way it runs on win/mac/linux without much hassles

</intro>

The BB10 SDK refuses to install if the JRE is not installed. I opened with 7zip and it looks like the only application that needs it just the installer, flexera installanywhere!

You made a great job by replacing the java binaries with node.js, why not making the full switch and use a decent installer that doesn't need Java???

You don't need an installer at all, just unzip the folder and it's done!

InstallAnywhere 2012 Enterprise Edition costs $4499, please do a favor to you and us by saving those money and use any other installer.

We don't really need an installer for that, expecially if it forces us to install an useless platform to automatically catch viruses while browsing.

Thanks.

Developer
Hithredin
My Device: Z10 Red

Re: Why the BB10 Webworks SDK needs java?

Why not install OpenJDK ?

http://openjdk.java.net/install/

Trusted Contributor
Magnetic_dud

I forgot to say that I am on Windows.
On Linux/Mac I'm quite fine with Java (although the installer on OSX it's still weird and unneeded - not sure about Linux, I never tried there)

Nowadays Java is used primarily by exploits and viruses, Oracle reduced the staff to maintain it and they don't fix the holes quickly enough, it's a dying technology.
Excluding Eclipse and the Android SDK, I don't think of any killer app that requires that.
Oh, blu ray menus can be made in Java (and that enabled Oracle to write in the installer that Java is used in the Playstation, lol)
Trusted Contributor
Magnetic_dud

I spent some time investigating and Java is mandatory for bar packaging and signing

But, I found a way to make it work without installing Java (on Windows):

1. Extract the BB10 SDK with 7zip
  2. Extract the JAR found in the SDK with 7zip
  3. Merge the content found in JAR with the content found outside the jar in a folder named BB10SDK (for example)
  4. Copy the java folder from another computer
  5. Copy it in X:BB10SDK\dependencies\tools (\bin of java will merge with \bin of bb10sdk)
  6. Place X:\BB10\dependencies\tools\bin in the system path
  7. Try in cmd if java works
  8. Voila! You can package&sign apps, with this advantages:
    1. jqs.exe and jusched.exe arent constantly hogging the cpu cycles
    2. no browser plugin = faster and safer internet
    3. blackberry-deploy and other tools available from anywhere from cmd (well, this is easy)