Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
Developer
hak

Widget -- How to sign a widget to run on a device

I am using Visual Studio 2008 and BB widget Plug-in. I am able to run the widget on the simulator. I am trying to deploy it on into a device.

I see a folder gets created by Visual Studio called bin and I see a file called MyApp.cod. My question is how to sign the cod and deploy it ?

With Eclipse there is a menu option to launch the signing tool and sign. However no such option in Visual Studio ?

I already have the keys however not sure how to sign the widget ?

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Widget -- How to sign a widget to run on a device

In Visual Studio it is a build configuration.  You choose the "Release Signed" build configuration and it will launch the signing process on build.

sign.png

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
hak

I tired as you mentioned and now I get Error "Registration Key not found!!". So I assume the 3 csi files have to be in a specific location so Visual Studio can see and use them.

Can you tell me where the 3 csi files should be located ?

Please use plain text.
tneil

You will need to register your keys with the Signing Tool for the Widget SDK.  This is typically found in: C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Widget Packager\bin

Instructions on how to register your sign keys with the signature tool can be found here: 

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/12293/Install_the_new_registry_key_with_Signat...

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
hak

Can I use the same keys I use for Eclipse and Java Development, or I need to obtain new keys ?

The instructions in link below for new registration, however I already registred my kesys as mentioned above, do you know what should be done ?

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/12293/Install_the_new_registry_key_with_Signat...

Please use plain text.
tneil

If you already have keys for your Java development, you can simply just take the cod output from the widget SDK and use your existing sign tool on them like you would for your Java development.

But if you want them to be signed as part of the build process coming out of the tooling, you will have to register them with the widget SDK.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.