Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
PaTheo
My Device: Storm2
My Carrier: Vodafone Greece
Accepted Solution

Widget - Network connection strange behaviour

I have developed a widget which retrieves data from a xml file through the XMLHttpRequest object. The xml file is located on a different server.

I have tested the widget with the BlackBerry 9500 Simulator and it works great.

I signed the widget and installed it at my Bold 9700, with the following specifications:

BlackBerry 9700

V5.0.0.344 (Platform 5.1.0.96)

When I run the widget with the Wi-Fi network option turned on, everything works great.

When I try to run the widget only through the 3G network of my provider the widget does not retrieve the data.

I have check that I have access to the internet when I only use the 3G network of my provider by opening pages through the WAP browser of my device (which is by default the “Vodafone live!”).

In the simulator I use the (simulated) 3G network (by running the BMDS service) so my widget must be working correct, I have not specified any Id elements in the config.xml, so I suppose that it uses all the elements in the default order.

Is there any setting that I must activate in my device (or my widget) so I can retrieve all the data I want.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Widget - Network connection strange behaviour

Hi PaTheo,

I have a few questions for you that hopefully will help us figure out what is going on.

1) Are the resources you are trying to access local on your LAN or are they publicly available resources from the internet 

2) Did you use one of the Eclipse or Visual Studio tools to build your widget?  I want to confirm just in case the tool had a bug where it was specifying a transport order on your behalf even if you did not.

3) Is the device you are testing on registered to a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, or for a public BIS account?

4) Which version of the BlackBerry Widget SDK did you use to build your widget?

Thanks,

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
New Developer
PaTheo

Dear Tim,

Concerning your questions, I have the followinginformation:

1) The resources are publicy available resources from the internet.

2) I use the Notepad++ editor and compile the widget from the command line according to the guidelines fro the BlackBerry site.

3) As far as i know for both applies No (how can i verufy this? when I Made the application form to Vodafone i asked for a voice and data plan, i do not even have a mail set up in the device).

4) The version I have is "BlackBerry Widget SDK 1.0 Beta 2".

I have to add something else, I tried running the simulator without first running the BMDS service (throught the bat file) and the simulator retrieved all the data from the internet with no problem (is the simulator loading the BMDS service on its own?!)

I would like to thank you for your collaboration.

Please use plain text.
tneil

Hi PaTheo,

There is a difference in the transport selection when going through BIS vs. BES.  They are different gateways off of the device.  

First thing I would try is getting the Beta 3 of the widget SDK that was just released.  It has fixes around transports specifically around BIS.  There were issues if you changed the transport order and tried to go across BIS.  This typically only happened if you changed the default order of the transports but it is worth a try in your situation.

The transports are designed to roll over to the next transport if the one being tried is not available.  If you simply purchased your device from Vodafone for personal use and don't have it connected to an Exchange Server you are likely on BIS.

Give Beta 3 a try and let me know how it goes :smileyhappy:

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
New Developer
PaTheo

Ok, here is what I did, and what are the new problems ...

1. I downloaded the Widget SDK Beta 3.

2. I uninstalled the Wideget SDK Beta 2.

3. I installed the Widget SDk Beta 3.

4. I tried to complied the widget and i got an error message that the "rapc.exe" file could not find the "javac.exe" file. Something I did not faced with the Beta 2. I searched on the internet and I found that i have to declare in the "path" of the system environment variables the full path of the Java installation. Which i did and finished complining correctly.

5. I downloaded the widget in my device and when i tried to run it, I got an error message saying: "Error starting <Widget Name>: Module <Widget Name> attempts to access a secure API."

It's as if my signing keys do not work any more ?!?

What shall I do, so everything works again, and try to see if Beta 3 solves my problem with the network access??

Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.
tneil

Hi PaTheo,

When you uninstalled the Beta 2, did you also delete the directory it was installed into?

Also, when you installed the Beta 3, did you install it into a different path than what Beta 2 was installed into?

When you register your keys, there are associated files that are put into a directory along with the signing tool.. 

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
New Developer
PaTheo

No, I did not delete the folder.

No, I installed in the same folder "C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Widget Packager".

So, now I have to:

- uninstall the Beta3.

- delete all folders.

- install Beta 3.

- register the signing keys again.

- everything should be fine ?

Please use plain text.
tneil

When you run the packager with the signing flag... the Signing tool should pop up.. When it is running do all of the signs succeed?

The sign tool UI should show you the signing process.  Sometimes the signing servers have known to go unreachable at times, so it may have not actually successfully signed your application

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
New Developer
PaTheo

Yes, all of the signs succed. I even get the email notification about the "Successful Code Signing Request".

What shall I try?

Please use plain text.
tneil

Can you post the model number of your device and the OS version number.  I can then try to have someone here reproduce the error.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.