Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
Abhijit
My Device: Not Specified

Widgets

Hi,

I have just read about Blackberry Widgets. Have few questions regarding this.

1) Can we create thick client application using Widget ?

2) Will the Application developed with widget api need network connectivity all time ?

3) What has html/css etc to do with the thick client app. Even if i have to render on a browser field, then also it will need gprs.

Regards,

Abhijit Chandekar

Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Widgets

1) Can we create thick client application using Widget ?

Yes you can create a thick client application.  You can package all of the HTML screens, images, JavaScript, CSS all as part of your widget archive.  This is essentially the same as creating multiple screens inside a thick client Java application

2) Will the Application developed with widget api need network connectivity all time ?

No it does not need connectivity at all time.  You will need connectivity for the following actions (1) Pushing data to your application (2) requesting outside data via an AJAX call to a remote website (3) If you draw an outside resource into your local web page such as a JavaScript file, image or CSS from a remote website

It will only need connectivity when you initiate one of the above three scenarios

3) What has html/css etc to do with the thick client app. Even if i have to render on a browser field, then also it will need gprs

When building a widget you are building a thick client application.  You are simply building your screens with HTML/CSS and coding your logic with JavaScript.  In a widget you "can" pull your screens and logic from an outside resource, but you do not "have to".  If you pull in outside resources you need to specifically add their domain location in the config.xml file using the <access> element to whitelist those resources based on a same origin policy.

If you have any follow up questions, or need further clarification please fire away :smileyhappy:

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter