Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: bbUI does not meet BlackBerry 10 UI Guidelines...

Can someone from BlackBerry confirm? Only 3 times to apply BFB, don't want to waste it...

Developer
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

[ Edited ]

sh2sg wrote:

Can someone from BlackBerry confirm? Only 3 times to apply BFB, don't want to waste it...

Exactly, but I think the only people who would be able to really confirm the UI thing would be the BB4B team.

I've had a look and you could refine the UI and maybe report what's missing to the BBUI team. Per example, your selected currency should have a blue background instead of yellow, etc.

And regarding integration, better be safe than sorry. Just add analytics. It's discreet and might give you some valuable information. The location service could help automatically pick a currency. That would be useful to your app.

You could also use BBM and print useful status about changes in the market, but please do let users decide whether they want to connect to BBM or not. 

I'm still not sold on the B4BB programme. All apps look the same if you follow the guidelines to the letter and only big names will be allowed to break the rules.

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.
Developer

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the advice.

The selection is not really a selection, it is more like a markup, it is to set Base currency. A blue color background color may not be easier to read.

I was thinking of location service, but that requires Geo Coordinate/IP Country database, don't think that thing is free.

Developer

Having built an app using the blue background on the selected element, I htink it does work quite well using white coloured text, but I don't think it's really the issue in your case. You could just keep those changes for if they refuse it again.

I didn't look into the details of implementing the location service, but there are free GeoIP databases out there. I thought the whole point of using the location service was to get the user's location though?

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha B, 2x Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: 3, Orange, Vodafone

[ Edited ]

There's an IP Country database available for free

dev.maxmind.com/geoip/

You want the lite version - dunno if there's a JS API for the db yet, I used the server version in the past

Click the like button if you find my posts useful!
Developer

Yeah, the location service returns longitude and latitude, it won't tell which country you are in, you need to lookup for the country name then auto-select a base currency for user, only when no base currency is set eg first time launch.

so it is pretty much impossible: can't find a country border coordinate database, and

it is not really worthy: only use one time

Developer

maxmind geoip returns country name based on your device's IP address, not latitude and longitude. so this is not a blackberry location service, you don't even need to declare the permission element(s) to access geolocation information in config.xml

Developer

After one month, they finally remembered to reply me.

See what they replied:

Integration of one BlackBerry Service

A: calling Browser invoke to open a URL is OK

BlackBerry 10 UI Guidelines

A: There’s nothing broke from your apps, but you need to comply it with BlackBerry 10 UI like action bar on early page and secondary bar or other so can meet the criteria. For more complete please check https://developer.blackberry.com/design/bb10/basics.html

Now I am wondering if they have carefully tested my app, I guess it could be rejected just because BFBTeam launched it and didn't see an Action on the very first page...

I carefully read the UI guideline, I do NOT see anywhere it mentions action bar MUST be presented on first page. My app does not require action bar on its main page (the very first page), action bar is already used in secondary pages and other.

This app has
- Action bar (on all the other pages except very first page),
- Context menu
- Activity Indicator
- Grid List
- Image List
- Label Control Container
- Pill Buttons
- Progress Indicator

- Title Bars

Unfortunately they are all ignored because they only like action on the first page...

Developer

All native BB10 apps have an action bar from the start. That's the BB10 look and what you need to do in order to get certified. You can't apply logic or good taste here...
And you had to wait one month for this!
--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developer

[ Edited ]
I can find a bunch of native apps that do NOT have action bar on its first page.