Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
razorek
My Device: BlackBerry Z10LE
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: bbUI.js overhaul

I think bbui.js is great, but I'm disappointed with the tempo of fixing issues. It’s been 19 days since the last issue on github has been fixed and with that speed, the next version won’t be available before BB10 has its launch.

At the point we are now, I think that bbui should be a top project and at least a few programmers should be working every day on it. So we have issues fixed at a daily basis. Programmers are encouraged to write for BB10 and PlayBook app, web technology as a development framework is so popular today so there should be a solid library for programmers to use.

I don’t want to complaint, I have used bbui with success in my project, but since it’s a PlayBook app I wanted my toggle buttons etc. to look like native PlayBook controls. I’ve waited almost two months but when all my features have been implemented I had to use the BB10 styling.

Kudos to all bbui implementors, i'm sure it was hard work to get the project to its current form. Just keep it going :smileyhappy:

Maciej

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Hi razorek,

We've been attempting to better explain our goals with bbUI in the README in the next branch.  bbUI is an incubation project where we experiment with BlackBerry UI and take our findings and apply them to our work we are doing in jQueryMobile and Sencha.

It is an experimentation project and we do all of our forward work in the "next" branch that has been receiving a bunch of commits.  There will likely be some more check-ins today.

While we continue to improve and experiment with bbUI, our main set of contributors are working on jQueryMobile and Sencha to ensure that the most popular JS toolkits out there have the BlackBerry 10 look and feel.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
razorek
My Device: BlackBerry Z10LE
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Hi Tim,

That's great that you're brining BB10 UI to the main mobile frameworks. Although I don't think that it's entirely possible. Some BB10 UI concepts are unique.

I'm not a cross platform developer (at least now) and I love apps that look like native, built-in apps. That's why I reached for bbUI in the first place.

I seems quite mature, a lot of work has been put into it already. It can easily compete with those mainstream frameworks. Why not work on (with more manpower :smileywink: ) it in parallel with JQueryMobile / Sencha? The UI concepts won't change so once it's complete only occasional bug fixes would be required.

Best regards to you and the whole team building it,

Maciej

Please use plain text.
tneil

There are some custom jQuery controls being created for the BB10 look and feel and we've been working with Sencha to also provide a full BB10 experience.

We will still continue to advance bbUI as a solution that helps for developers tackling BB5-BB10 and use it as an area to push boundaries on BlackBerry 10 UI represented in HTML/CSS/JavaScript.  It is a great way for us to push the limits and improve the browser, and other JS toolkits, based on our findings.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
Philipk
My Device: Dev Alpha & PlayBook
My Carrier: wifi

Tim will there be a jQuery-Mobile theme which can apply to an existing jQuery-Mobile app and to give it the BB10 look and feel? That would be amazing.

tneil

[ Edited ]

That's what we're working on.. 

Philipk wrote:

Tim will there be a jQuery-Mobile theme which can apply to an existing jQuery-Mobile app and to give it the BB10 look and feel? That would be amazing.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
bertho_joris
My Device: Blackberry 9780
My Carrier: Telkomsel

Is this BBUI can run either on OS6?

Regards,
Bertho
Please use plain text.
tneil

Yes, bbUI will run on BlackBerry 6 devices
Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
bertho_joris
My Device: Blackberry 9780
My Carrier: Telkomsel

The problem I ever report here : http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-and-WebWorks-Development/907-Invalid-COD-when-using-BBUI-...

Is because I try to build all files in that  BBUI sample folder itself. There are approximately 29 files. This causes can not be installed on my blackberry. And i get a message 907 Invalid COD

But I just tried to build applications with only 2 files, index.htm and menu.htm. It can be installed seamlessly on my blackberry.

The problem I reported earlier may be due to too many files that I build.

Is this a problem?

Does it do build a Ripple emulator can not so much?

Regards,
Bertho
Please use plain text.
tneil

do you mean there are 29 cod files? or 29 files that make up your application (CSS, JS, HTML)?

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.