Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
amoschan
My Device: None
My Carrier: Rogers

bbui.js vs jquery-mobile BB10 theme

Hey guys,

I'm trying to build my first BB10 app with Web Works and I just want to have a little discussion about these two frameworks:

https://github.com/blackberry/bbUI.js

https://github.com/blackberry/jQueryMobile-BB10-Theme

Is it just me or do they both seem to offer similar functionality? Why would I choose one over the other? They both seem to be very active repositories.

My assumption is that bbUI is a little more lightweight whereas the jQuery mobile theme provides more functionality. Am I correct? Does anyone have any concrete reasons as to why they chose one over the other?

Please use plain text.
Developer
smartek
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: o2

Re: bbui.js vs jquery-mobile BB10 theme

I think if you want to get the B4BB I would use bbui because it looks more than BB10 I think.

Plase "+Like" my post if it was helpful.
Please use plain text.
Developer
interfaSys
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

bbUI.js is BlackBerry only whereas JQuery Mobile is cross-platform compatible. so is Sencha Touch.

For most simpler BB apps bbUI will be enough, but check the capabilities of all framework before making a decision. For bigger apps, Sencha comes with lots of building blocks that you can theme, but you may prefer building your own HTML and want to use JQuery
--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
paroxysm
My Device: AT&T Torch 9810
My Carrier: AT&T

I was thinking about which frameworks too however I wanted to use them in conjunction with knockout.js, the MVVM framework. Unfortunate to say I didn't have a good experience with BBUI.js because it didn't recognize it's own markup so refreshing an already styled element would cause double styling or distorted styling. I have yet to experiment with BB10JQM but I had a good experience using JQM with KnockoutJS so I hope I have the same experience.

Please use plain text.