Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

bbui list performance

We are currently experimenting with bbui and looking at whether we can use it as the UI for one our webwork apps.  The app has lots of areas where the user selects from lists, some small, some large.  We have tried using the 'Arrow List' but it seems very slow on a 9360 even with only about 10 items.

We've pretty much gone off your example on github, but is there anything we could be doing wrong or something we can do to improve performance?  Would a different bb-type be more suitable for item selection from a list?

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: bbui list performance

The Arrow list did have some performance issues with the trackpad.. these have now been addressed in the latest version 0.9.1 of the toolkit

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
New Developer

Thanks Tim, but was already on 0.9.1 :smileysad:

Will try the other list types, unless you can save me time and tell me if there is a quicker / more suitable one for picking an item from a list.  Also, are there any guidelines / recommendations on maximum number of items that should be used in lists.  I know you mentioned at BBJAM that 'paging' was on your roadmap, but would be nice to know what can be acheived today.

Thanks

Dave

Retired

Hmm.. that's odd.. I've been using text arrow lists on BB7 devices with the track pad and it was really fast.. Any chance you could post a Youtube video to show the speed?

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
New Developer

Here you go Tim

http://youtu.be/oE_4P6kxNgU

As you can see it seems to be a bit irratic and the selected item doesn't always keep up and often jumps around.

Retired

I'm guessing that if you are scrolling items up and down that are in view that doesn't need to scroll the content that it seems "fairly" smooth.

The jumpyness when scrolling content on the screen I believe is a WebWorks Trackpad navigation quirk.  I've also seen that it skips highlighting items if you do a really fast scroll.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Developer
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

Coming from AIR i recently tested the scrolling performance of a simple, fullscreen list, created with bbui (0.9.3) on DevAlpha.

The list has about 50 entries. The scrolling is not bad but recognizable slower than 60 fps. The performance is similar to a correspondent AIR list, made with the last  BB10 controls. But the AIR list is very responsive. It follows the finger without any visible lag. The bbui list has a recognizable lag. Its still OK, but the AIR list is better and i think the user will prefer it.

Will the performance get significant better in the final release? Since AIR is exclude from the "Made for BB program" i decided to switch to HTML5, but i am not sure anymore.

Retired

I'm testing on the SDK OS that will be released this month, and I can tell you it's a lot more responsive than on the current available build for the DevAlpha.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Developer
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

Thanks, i am curious about the upcoming SDK.

In the meantime i repeated a list-performance test with 500 entries in both apps.

The AIR App opens and shows the list in about a second. The list- performance is keeping the same, and pretty responsive.

The HTML5 App needs two seconds to open and additional two seconds to render the page with the list. The list is unuseable slow and laggy.

I just cant believe it and i think i should stay with AIR - even when my app cant be certified.