Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
jharkavy
My Device: Not Specified

differences between simulators and physical devices

I've been developing mobile-specific pages for users to access our web appliance. Blackberry has been the primary focus as thus far the users who care about this feature are enterprise users using, oddly enough, Blackberries. In order to get required functionality I'm requiring the device to be running v4.6 minimum - Javascript, AJAX, "full" CSS & DOM support are all necessary. Up until recently it's been only me developing & testing. I've been using the RIM Simulator for the Bold 9000 running 4.6.0.190 & MDS on my box, and these both talk to one or more virtual appliances also on my box.

I *finally* got it to the point where it's ready for the guys & gals in QA. Some of our QA people have real BB Bold 9000's running 4.6.0.167 & higher (AT&T), so they're going to start testing via our BES server using the real McCoy, i.e., a piece of hardware, not a simulator. Except that the pages I've written DON'T FREAKIN' WORK ON THE BLOODY DEVICES! :smileymad:

The settings on the physical devices match what I've got on the emulator. Javascript enabled, images enabled, browser type, yadda yadda yadda. However...

- style sheets are pretty borked. colors work for the most part, but layout and sizing is off on certain elements

- buttons don't seem to work (actual "button" element vs. input type='button'). input type='submit/button/etc' appear to work - mostly

- javascript that's supposed to enable a button when all required elements are filled in doesn't work

- images sometimes load, sometimes not

- all of the above works just fine and dandy on the emulators (both Bold and Storm)

If the emulators are supposed to be 100% accurate in simulating device operation, then what gives with the discrepancy?

Are there other things that work on the emulator that I can expect problems with on the devices?

Do I have to fall back to the oh-so-braindead pages that my 8800 running 4.2 supports?

Input/suggestions are much appreciated.

thx
Developer

Re: differences between simulators and physical devices

The different probably comes from using different versions of software the simulator (4.6.0.190) and the devices (4.6.0.167).
New Developer
jharkavy

staktrace wrote:
The different probably comes from using different versions of software the simulator (4.6.0.190) and the devices (4.6.0.167).

Are there known issues with 167?  And, if so, is there documentation somewhere that could tell me what they are?

New Developer
motecap

[ Edited ]

I'm looking for the same info actually.

What features are assumed to work on the different versions of software/hardware?  It's great to have full blown documentation on everything, but for applicable products, I don't remember seeing anything mentioned.  I might have missed it when looking through the docs already. 

Specifically, I'm looking for anyone who has ever seen the behaviour that resizes an image that is larger than the screen  width down so it fits.  That function is killing me, almost to the point where I'm thinking of going back and bloating the software just to get it to work.  *shakes fist in air* $$#@#!

Message Edited by motecap on 06-03-2009 11:48 PM
Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Unfortunately there is no full documentation on differences between simulators and real devices.

To release a product it is necessary to test it on actual device.

For now there is no workaround for that.

New Developer
jharkavy

How about documentation on differences/what's fixed between OS versions?  You know, things like Release Notes or some such?  What was "broken" in 4.6.0.167 that got "fixed" in .190 or .266?  Maybe a "Known Issues" list?

.167 is the latest build blessed & installed by AT&T on the Bold.  We have one user here, though, who's gone and hunted down .266 for his Bold.  There are differences in what the browser will and will not support between the two, i.e., my pages mostly work on .266, but oh-so-do-not work in .167.

The RIM documentation only tells me what's supposed to work in 4.6.  One would assume that 4.6 is 4.6, but obviously that's not the case.

At this rate it looks like I have to give up on any hope on a reasonably modern, styled page and fall back on <UL>, <LI>, and <A> to get anything done.  Talk about fugly...

Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Device OS updates released by wireless operators.

check this link for more info: http://tinyurl.com/y8qs5s 

Some operators may have more detailed information on device software update.

For example Verizon has this information published.

New Developer
toddm

motecap, did you try the max-width CSS tag to scale images to fit the screen?  I have a Storm so it's different, but this works in column mode.  Not sure about page mode.  Also, scaling in JavaScript mostly works as well though it's slower than max-width.