Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
docaholic
My Device: Blackberry 10 Alpha, Blackberry Bold 9930

error installing webworks SDK 1.0.2 on Windows 8

Hey guys,

I'm having issues installing the webworks SDK (1.0.2) for blackberry 10 on my windows 8 machine.

I recently upgraded to windows 8, and I'm currently updating all my SDK's for developing. I so far have JRE 7 installed, as well as the Android SDKs, and I'm currently installing the webworks SDK.

However, I keep encountering a "FATAL ERROR" when running the BB10-WebWorks-SDK_1.0.2.exe. I then read some previous threads, and I've tried running under compatibility mode (didn't work, nothing happens), and using the command line (once again, nothing happens).

So i extracted the executable, and ran the files from the unpacked .exe. A .log file was generated with the following contents

#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x000007f840f44ca1, pid=1604, tid=1616
#
# JRE version: 7.0-b147
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (21.0-b17 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [ntdll.dll+0x4ca1]
#
# Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://bugreport.sun.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
#

After that, the thread is dumped; if you need the thread contents, I can post it later.

Anyways, are there any solutions to this? It's a bit frustrating, cause I was nearly done the app, and I don't feel like switching from webworks to native/Qt; to remind everybody, I've already tried running under administrator, as well as in compatibility mode, but they don't do anything. I've also run the unpacked .exe under the same settings as well (admin and in compatibility mode). 

Thanks in advance!

Developer
The_Anomaly
My Device: Dev Alpha / Playbook / Curve 9300

Re: error installing webworks SDK 1.0.2 on Windows 8

Is that a 64bit version of Java?  I know that webworks does not support 64bit yet.

That error though seems to indicate that JRE is having trouble writing to a location in Windows 8.  Possibly a permissions error.  In win 7 the program files directory does not allow users to write to it.  ie:  When you install app it goes ok because you are using admin to install BUT when running apps you are using the normal user account.

You could try giving your normal user account write permissions to the right folders... ?  OR check for threads that show compatible JRE's.

If it helped you, click like. :smileyhappy:
Contributor
docaholic
My Device: Blackberry 10 Alpha, Blackberry Bold 9930

Yeah, it's a 64-bit version of java.

It's weird, it's worked before on the same computer, just windows 7 (also 64-bit). And I know for a fact it works on my other computer as well (64-bit Mac, also with 64-bit java).

Is there a conflict between the 1.7 JDK and the 1.6 one maybe?

Developer
The_Anomaly
My Device: Dev Alpha / Playbook / Curve 9300

rquartel
My Device: Virtual

I got it working using the windows 8 compatibility mode (right click on the exe file and select Troubleshoot Compatibility)