Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Trusted Contributor
icecappacino
My Device: Not Specified

improving webworks performance

Hey,

after taking a long hard look at my first bb webworks app. I'm trying to find ways of proving some of my development processes to make my apps alot faster and "smoother". I have been trying to research the use of svg and other methods of framework and really I haven't been able to come up with any fruitful results for developing effecient for O.S. 5 capable apps.

So I'm asking these questions

1. is there anything we do to improve scrolling performance in webworks?
  2. is it better to "import" content than to have it DOM generated on the fly?
  3. can the use of svg for text and data content improve performance?

I'm trying to get as much information on this but the site's knowledge base articles are hard to find and source the information i need

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
zahirw
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: improving webworks performance

I'd like to know this too
Please use plain text.
Administrator
astanley
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

>> is there anything we do to improve scrolling performance in webworks?

Are you letting the web engine perform scrolling natuarlly, or using a library like iScroll to force it?  What device are you using.  Believe it or not scrolling is very hardware dependant (memory and CPU) - lots of repainting and calculations happening.  As a result you will see a noticible different in performance between BB6 and BB7 Smartphones (the latter having received a significant upgrade in harware capabilities).

>> is it better to "import" content than to have it DOM generated on the fly?

Not necessarily - however it is always better to reduce the amount of changes being made to the live DOM.  If you are constantly adding/removing elements on your page, it causes an entire recalculation & repaint of the page.  This can be very slow.  In fact. many developers don't realize just how much they are doing this with their content (example: jQuery Mobile does thousands of these actions).

>> can the use of svg for text and data content improve performance?

I'm not really sure - but by guess is 'no'.  If its an external resource, it becomes an additional HTTP request, which does impact performance.

Check out Steve Souders 14 rules for faster loading web pages.  These fundamentals apply to all web content, including WebWorks applications:

http://stevesouders.com/hpws/rules.php

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
patrick555
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: ATT

Hi astanley,

"however it is always better to reduce the amount of changes being made to the live DOM"

is there any memory issue in Webworks apps caused by just linking static html page to static html page with either a plain  a href tag (or with a button with an onclick event  onclick="location.href=__.html') ? Im building an html based app that has entirely static and local content but in the simulators, after clicking around about 20-30 pages in the app, it causes this error: JVMError 104 – Uncaught: TooManyThreadsError. Any ideas on how to resolve?

thanks

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tekblom
My Device: 6700
My Carrier: None

I experience that the rendering of an external webpage in Webworks is much slower than the native browser. 

I am running a BlackBerry Bold 9780, OS 6.0. 

My application is basically Hello World with an link to the external webpage, 

How can I better the performance of the Webwork "browser"? Why is it slower than the native browser?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tekblom
My Device: 6700
My Carrier: None

I experience that the rendering of an external webpage in Webworks is much slower than the native browser. 

I am running a BlackBerry Bold 9780, OS 6.0. 

My application is basically Hello World with an link to the external webpage, 

How can I better the performance of the Webwork "browser"? Why is it slower than the native browser?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peardox
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha B, 2x Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: 3, Orange, Vodafone

I've just updated my Dev Alpha A to latest OS release

They've made the browser faster yet again

I knew my app was sluggish on DA-A but also knew it performed well on DA-B

Although I've still got  DA-A it works as fast as a DA-B did in October with h= the upgrade

I can't wait to see my app on Z10 (look for JamSterdam in AppWorld - Free for now)

Click the like button if you find my posts useful!
Please use plain text.