Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
sdnetwork
My Device: q10

is there a way to access BarcodeDetector and barcodegenerator with html5 webworks

do you think it is possible to use these native sdk class to read and generate barcode with html5 webworks ?

i have found a project in webworks comunity but we need to provide custom library or bb10 device have native functionality to play with barcode.

thanks in advance

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
twindsor
My Device: Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Re: is there a way to access BarcodeDetector and barcodegenerator with html5 webworks

The custom community extension does use the native code to at least analyze and scan barcodes. It uses the same basic approach that the fully native scanner does. The big change is in how it shows the user what they are looking at. We weren't able to find a way to show native video, and instead it sends snapshots to be displayed on a canvas. 

It doesn't include a barcode generation feature at the moment, but it could be added.

Tim Windsor
Open Source Technical Lead
Please use plain text.
Contributor
sdnetwork

Re: is there a way to access BarcodeDetector and barcodegenerator with html5 webworks

[ Edited ]

ok, after some search i begin to understand how work webworks sdk and i understand why it is not easy to show the capture of camera into the webkit renderer !

It doesn't include a barcode generation feature at the moment, but it could be added.

i propose to do a new community.barcodegenerator extension to produce qr code in webworks. (i think i can do that before the end of this month).

ps : what do you think about creating a new community extension or add the barcode generator functionnality to the existing community.barcodescanner ?

Please use plain text.
twindsor

I would prefer to see it added to the existing one. For context, the next version of WebWorks will be based on PhoneGap. So we're working on porting the existing community extensions to PhoneGap compatible plugins, and at the same time trying to match them with the plugins available on other platforms. The BarcodeScanner plugin on iOS supports both scan and generate features, so we have to do the generate feature at some point. If you want to write that part and add it to the existing extension, the community devs who are doing the porting to PhoneGap can use your code to include that feature as well. We had placed it as a secondary priority.

The porting issue on GitHub is tracked here: https://github.com/blackberry/WebWorks-Community-APIs/issues/197

Tim Windsor
Please use plain text.
Contributor
sdnetwork

>the next version of WebWorks will be based on PhoneGap

is there a roadmap or a beta(preview) of the next version based on phonegap for doing test ?

Please use plain text.
twindsor

I would recommend using the latest version of Cordova or PhoneGap. WebWorks will be built on top of that, so you'll get a good sense of how it will work, though without all the tools that we are going to add in.

Tim Windsor
Please use plain text.
Developer
peardox
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha B, 2x Dev Alpha C

Save me reading the docs to find out I'm barking up the wrong tree here...

Would it be possible to write something in native that can be called by the invoke / card subsystems?

Such a methodology could prove extremely useful for situations like this

Click the like button if you find my posts useful!
Please use plain text.
twindsor

That's definitely possible. We should have an invocation sample in the Cascades Samples repo as well.
Tim Windsor
Please use plain text.