Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
ChristoDeluxe
My Device: Not Yet
My Carrier: Not Yet

launching PDFs from the web on PlayBook

We have a web application (not webworks, just a normal web site)  that people access using the PlayBook browser.

Linked from parts of the site are PDF files (and sometimes Word docs) that the user will want to view.

Presently (PlayBook 2.0.1), when the user clicks a link to a PDF, it prompts the user to save the file, and then there's no further feedback to the user.  They have to know to pull down the menu, press "Downloads", and then know the name of the file that was downloaded, and then press it to open.  This required training, and it's not like what people are used to on computers or the iPad.  Word docs have to follow the same workflow.

Is there a way to link to the file in HTML in such a way as to make it open automatically in Acrobat Reader on the PlayBook?  I don't mind a user prompt, but the whole "downloads" workflow is just too much.

Please use plain text.
Developer
ignites
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: launching PDFs from the web on PlayBook

I dont think so or else it woulda been implemented already in the browser

Developer for easyDial for BlackBerry Bold & inLink for BlackBerry PlayBook
Find me online via twitter, or on the techfruits.com webpage. Please hit the like button below if what I said helped!
Please use plain text.