Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
nunodonato
My Device: Curve 9360, Playbook, BB10 Dev Alpha

need some serious dev advice on this

[ Edited ]

Hello!

First of all, if this is not the proper place to pose this question, please redirect me to a better one :smileyhappy:

I'm beginning to develop an app which will take me quite some time due to its complexity, but to make it really usefull and widespread I'm planning to release it across all the BB devices: bb smartphones - playbook - bb10

I have, however, 2 big question marks and would like some clarification on how to go about with it, so that I don't waste time in doings things which later can not be used or won't work as expected:

1. Will we ever have a way to easily sync app data across these devices? or should we rely from the start on an external (web) service?
  2. the app will make use of contacts and calendar data. I know that, for now, we still don't have access to that API in PB and BB10, but I guess we will sooner or later. The question is, will it play well with a sync service working across devices? What's your advice on this?

Thanks very much

Nuno

Nuno
theBBthing.wordpress.com - my BlackBerry development blog: news, tips and tutorials
bitoutsidethebox.com - re-imagining digital solutions

Regular Contributor
liammccann
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9780

Re: need some serious dev advice on this

Not 100% sure about 1. but i think you could use JSON and just upload them to server side, as JSON's would be the same accross all devices and platforms.. Hope this helps
Developer
nunodonato

I wasn't planning to have any kind of "server-side" stuff. Only if its the only way out...
Nuno
theBBthing.wordpress.com - my BlackBerry development blog: news, tips and tutorials

Regular Contributor
liammccann
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9780

Well if you save eveything to JSON objects that should work on every device if you load it/save it accordingly.
Developer
haagmm
My Device: Not Specified

I am hopeful, though less than optomistic that what already exists on the BES/ActiveSync side of things can be brought over to the Consumer side.  RIM Cloud Serivces should handle this, and it should be included in some push to users of existing BBs.  

To be clear I am hoping, not making any informed statement.

Retired
astanley
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Are contacts & calendar data the only type of data being considered here? 

For 1) it seems like you are describing a classic cloud-based service, where web APIs can serve as the mechanism for transferring data between devices (not just BB, but other platforms too including desktop, of course).

A direct communication channel may eventually be possible through a custom Bluetooth extension.  No one has created one yet for BB smartphones, and we don't yet have the architecture in place for 3rd party extensions on BB10 (soon I hope), but I would expect if these pieces were in place, you may be able to transfer data between paired devices.

Both have their pros and cons.  A cloud service may be easier to maintain and apply changes to, as well as being easier to use from a user's perspective.  However the perceived security may be a concern for users ("What are you doing with my contacts / calendar data?").

For 2) the data would need to be serialized in a format supported by the given sync mechanism.  Whether that is text-based (JSON / XML) or binary.

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Developer
biggerCC
My Device: PlayBook 16GB, BB10 Dev Alpha

If you're hoping of something like an "iCloud" API, where apps can easily store data and access it accross devices: sadly there hasn't been anything announced yet by RIM - at least according to my knowledge.

- - -
My approved apps @ App World
Developer
nunodonato

[ Edited ]

Thank you all for the replies.

Adam, let me just clarify better what I mean with nr 2.

Right now the PlayBook has native calendar and contacts, and at the same time, connects via bridge with the BB contacts and calendar.

My question is, when these APIs are in place, what exactly are we going to access? the native or the bridge? 

That's why I have this doubt about sync'ing.

PS - Yes I guess I only need contacts and calendar data, but that's a guess, the future will tell :smileywink: these 2 are the most important ones, otherwise the user would have to be duplicating info

Nuno