Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
binnyb
My Device: Not Specified

openPushListener port

[ Edited ]

I have successfully completed the tutorial/example on push notifications for blackberry web widgets and am curious about what I will need to change for when i deploy my application to the public.

What port should i be listening on when using blackberry.push.openPushListener(handleReturnData, port);?  In the example code for push notifications, it asks me to make sure push.application.reliable.ports=100 is not commented out in the rimpublic.property file.  obviously i will not have control of this when the application is publicized, so can i ignore this step while going through  application deployment steps?

can i use my own server to send off push notifications? if so, what is required, PIN number.. anything more? is there some sort of address for each device that i can send a request to..  is it in a format like blackberry://push?PIN&message=abc123: PORT ?

also, when i subscribe to push notifications via blackberry.push.openPushListener(handleReturnData, port); on the BlackBerry Bold 9700 5.0.0.469 simulator i am constantly seeing a flashing loading icon.  why is this? i do not see it on the Storm 2 9550 5.0.0.469 simulator.

Please use plain text.
Developer
araskin
My Device: Bold 9900, 9810, 9780, 9650 and so many others
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: openPushListener port

You need to device if you are doing BIS (consumer) push or BES (Enteprise) push. The push.application.reliable.ports=100 reprsents a setting on the BES MDS service which must be enabled in order for you to push. If your target audience are consumers (BIS) then you do not need to worry about this.

This document http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/12029/Push_applications_for_the_BlackBerry_Ent... gives a good overview of the server side push code that is required. Your primary focus should be on PAP push.

Regards,

Alon

Please use plain text.